Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Heart Disease and Heart Attack Forum

Heart problems from rheumatic fever later in life?

I was just curious if anyone knew about types of heart problems later in life caused by having had an inflamed heart during a bout of rheumatic fever. When I was 11 I had rheumatic fever for around five months and it caused a heart murmur. I eventually recovered and a few years later they told my mother and I that my heart was healthy. I'm now 23 years old and for the last ...maybe 7 years I've had times where I feel like my heart 'flutters' and I feel like something is very wrong and almost short of breath. I'd like to know if this is just my paranoia or if it's a real concern. The feeling usually occurs when I'm lying down. It's just a sensation that gives me the sudden thought that my heart skipped a beat or something strange, just under my ribcage. I've tried to ask doctors about it but they don't seem to understand what I'm asking.

Would appreciate it if anyone has some knowledge.
Did you find this post helpful?
First Helper User Profile

User Profile
replied June 2nd, 2012
Rheumatic fever is a major cause of heart disease and is particularly likely to damage one or more of the heart valves. That would cause a murmur. With your history you are entitled to a careful physical examination and at least an electrocardiogram. If you have episodes of cardiac irregularity, a 24 or 48 hour electrocariographic study (Holter monitoring) may be indicated. Finally, if there is a question of heart disease due to the previous rheumatic fever, an echocardiogram may be indicated.
At your age it would be important to clarify your heart status, there being so very much that can be done these days, so do contact an internist or cardiologist.
Please be aware that I am unable to diagnose medical conditions online.

An easy-to-read book about the heart for lay persons. Available at major online book retailers and other fine bookstores.
Did you find this post helpful?

replied July 9th, 2012
I had rheumatic fever at age eight and appeared to recover after a couple of years and have not suffered any consequences. My question is can rheumatic fever return with other affects in later life e.g. in the 70's?
Did you find this post helpful?

replied May 27th, 2019
I had rheumatic fever when I was 9 years old, it caused a heart murmur which can be heard loudly by doctors. After recovering I have had no problems for over 60 years other than a loud heart beat. Now in my 70's a new doctor has me on 3 heart medicines and blood pressure medicines because my heart got "out of wack" and I spent 3 weeks in hospital being monitored and on an IV pick. I don't feel well since they put me on all these heart meds and I hurt everywhere all the time especially my arms and legs, I'm dizzy, don't sleep well and a pain to everyone I know. Do I need all the heart meds? i.e., Eliquis, Lipitor, carvedilol, diltiazem, hydrochlorothiazide. Please help I want my life back.
Did you find this post helpful?

This post has been removed because it did not meet our Community Guidelines.
This post is being reviewed to be sure that it adheres to our Community Guidelines.
Thanks for your patience!
Must Read
What happens during a heart attack? Get heart attack facts here....
What causes a heart attack? Are women more likely than men to have a heart attack? We review the risk factors and causes of heart attack here....
Can you identify early signs and symptoms of a heart attack? Are women heart attack symptoms different than men? Click here to learn when to seek help....
DISCLAIMER: "Ask a Doctor" questions are answered by certified physicians and other medical professionals. For more information about experts participating in the "Ask a Doctor" Network, please visit our medical experts page. You may also visit our Heart Disease and Heart Attack , for moderated patient to patient support and information.

The information provided on eHealth Forum is designed to improve, not replace, the relationship between a patient and his/her own physician. Personal consultation(s) with a qualified medical professional is the proper means for diagnosing any medical condition.