Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Heart Disease and Heart Attack Forum

heart patient with vsd, after operation can't gain weight

User Profile
hi doctors i was a heart patient with vsd after operation its good now but i never gain weight about 12 years ago i had open heart i eat much all the time but cant gain weight my height is 5 and weight is 36 kg can u help plz

Did you find this post helpful?
|

User Profile
replied December 24th, 2012
Heart Disease and Heart Attack Answer A41179
Hi,
Welcome to the ehealthforum and I am really glad to help you out. As the surgery was done long time ago, it VSD doesn’t seem to be the likely reason for the poor weight gain. You need to look for other causes of the same. These can be diabetes mellitus which can be ruled out by doing a fasting and post meal glucose and an HbA1c. Hyperthyroidism can be confirmed by doing the thyroid function tests. A stool analysis should be done to rule the presence of worms in stools which can be an important cause of poor weight gain. A kidney and liver function tests including hepatitis B and C should be done as the can also produce a reduced weight gain. I sincerely hope that helps. Take care.

|
Did you find this post helpful?
Quick Reply
Must Read
What happens during a heart attack? Get heart attack facts here....
What causes a heart attack? Are women more likely than men to have a heart attack? We review the risk factors and causes of heart attack here....
Can you identify early signs and symptoms of a heart attack? Are women heart attack symptoms different than men? Click here to learn when to seek help....
DISCLAIMER: "Ask a Doctor" questions are answered by certified physicians and other medical professionals. For more information about experts participating in the "Ask a Doctor" Network, please visit our medical experts page. You may also visit our Heart Disease and Heart Attack , for moderated patient to patient support and information.

The information provided on eHealth Forum is designed to improve, not replace, the relationship between a patient and his/her own physician. Personal consultation(s) with a qualified medical professional is the proper means for diagnosing any medical condition.