Medical Questions > Mental Health > Panic Attacks Forum

Heart palpitations and bowel problem

I made it through panic disorder fifteen years ago, but its back and this time I don't know if I can make it.

First of all I have a bowel disorder that's very disturbing. I had all the tests back then and nothing showed up. Both times it started by taking a pain killer for something else. Anyway, so I have that going on. Then my mother died, we were very close. Then my father died. While I was taking my father to hospitals etc. my wife of 30 years told me she might want a separation. So that was the icing on the cake. I have super heart palpitations, burning feet, nausea and the bowel problem, and I'm so sad about my marriage and everything else I cant function. I love my wife, and did not see this coming at all. Besides all that I have several teeth that need to be extracted and I cant get myself to go feeling like this.
I'm taking doxepin and klonopin. I used to only take a small dose of klonopin when necessary, maybe .25 and then none for days. Now I'm taking .5 twice a day and that's really not enough.
Needless to say, I'm scared to death and I'm afraid of ending up in an institution. I try deep breathing, exercise, meditation. but its difficult not to think about the things that are going on. Help.
Did you find this post helpful?
|

User Profile
replied April 9th, 2018
Hello and welcome to EHF !

I went through your query and i believe you need to consult a psychiatrist for your panic attack disorder as it needs anxiolytics and supportive care with psychotherapy sessions. Abdominal discomfort is due to irritable bowel syndrome and is a sequel of anxiety and neurosis. That will need low doses of amitriptyline or nortriptyline and it will help improve both your anxiety as well as bowel symptoms. Let your psychiatrist decide what is best for you.

Take care.
|
Did you find this post helpful?
This post has been removed because it did not meet our Community Guidelines.
Tags: Exercise
Quick Reply
Must Read
Learn how doctors clinically diagnose one of twelve kinds of anxiety disorders...and which doctors you should see for an anxiety diagnosis....
Anxiety disorders can affect anyone. But do you know the common signs and symptoms of anxiety disorders? Learn more now....
Anxiety is a normal, healthy emotion when experienced during specific moments. But do you know the signs that anxiety has gotten out of control? Read more here...
DISCLAIMER: "Ask a Doctor" questions are answered by certified physicians and other medical professionals. For more information about experts participating in the "Ask a Doctor" Network, please visit our medical experts page. You may also visit our Panic Attacks , for moderated patient to patient support and information.

The information provided on eHealth Forum is designed to improve, not replace, the relationship between a patient and his/her own physician. Personal consultation(s) with a qualified medical professional is the proper means for diagnosing any medical condition.