User Profile
I'm a 53 year old female that had palpitations since I was about 12, and suddenly 2 nights ago began having fluttering in my chest. Any suggestions?

Did you find this post helpful?
|

User Profile
replied May 24th, 2010
High Blood Pressure and Hypertension Answer A12384

Heart palpitation is a condition when there is an abnormality in the heart rhythm that the person becomes aware of. Although there are many causes, most of them are related to heart conditions. Anemia, hypoglycemia and hypoxia are other possible causes. It is interesting to mention that heart palpitations might be caused by panic disorders.

The flutter you experienced is most likely atrial flutter. This is a heart condition when there is a heart rate of 230-380 beats per minute in the atria. Other symptoms related to this condition might include: shortness of breath, chest pain, dizziness. The person might become agitated. This condition is quite dangerous because it might lead to serious complications ranging from blood clot to sudden cardiac death.

You might want to visit a cardiologist for a physical examination, ECG, and ultrasound scan of the heart in order to detect whether there is really atrial flutter and how to treat it.

|
Did you find this post helpful?
Must Read
What happens during atrial fibrillation? Learn basic facts about the heart and what types of irregular heart rhythm problems doctors commonly diagnose here....
What can trigger a case of atrial fibrillation? And how can you avoid risks of developing problems with the heart? More here....
When are symptoms of atrial fibrillation serious? Know what complications can develop and when to seek medical help for this common heart condition....
DISCLAIMER: "Ask a Doctor" questions are answered by certified physicians and other medical professionals. For more information about experts participating in the "Ask a Doctor" Network, please visit our medical experts page. You may also visit our High Blood Pressure and Hypertension , for moderated patient to patient support and information.

The information provided on eHealth Forum is designed to improve, not replace, the relationship between a patient and his/her own physician. Personal consultation(s) with a qualified medical professional is the proper means for diagnosing any medical condition.