Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Heart Disease and Heart Attack Forum

heart failure question ejection fraction was 40%

My 45yr old husband was diagnosed with congestive heart failure 2 yrs ago. On admission to hospital his ejection fraction was 15 to 20%. After 6 months of heart meds, his heart had "shrunk" and ejection fraction was 40%. Does this mean he's improved or is it just the symptoms under control. He still takes all his medication. Thanks for reading
Did you find this post helpful?
|

User Profile
replied December 31st, 2011
Your husband has shown a significant improvement in his heart function, with his ejection fraction (the amount of blood the left ventricle ejects with each stroke) going from about 20% to 40%. Though an ejection fraction of 40% is still below the normal range, your question suggests that he is doing better clinically. In the light of his improvement I think he should continue his medication and keep in close touch with his doctor.
Your question does not state why your husband was in congestive heart failure. I assume his doctor has dealt with that question, because the answer defines the kind of treatment that is instituted.
Please be aware that I am unable to diagnose medical conditions online.

An easy-to-read book about the heart for lay persons. Available at major online book retailers and other fine bookstores.
|
Did you find this post helpful?
Must Read
What happens during a heart attack? Get heart attack facts here....
What causes a heart attack? Are women more likely than men to have a heart attack? We review the risk factors and causes of heart attack here....
Can you identify early signs and symptoms of a heart attack? Are women heart attack symptoms different than men? Click here to learn when to seek help....
DISCLAIMER: "Ask a Doctor" questions are answered by certified physicians and other medical professionals. For more information about experts participating in the "Ask a Doctor" Network, please visit our medical experts page. You may also visit our Heart Disease and Heart Attack , for moderated patient to patient support and information.

The information provided on eHealth Forum is designed to improve, not replace, the relationship between a patient and his/her own physician. Personal consultation(s) with a qualified medical professional is the proper means for diagnosing any medical condition.