Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Heart Disease and Heart Attack Forum

Heart failure at 24? getting daily palpitations.

Hello my name is Oliver. I am 24 years old. I am worried that I may be suffering from a heart problem at this young age. It all started around October 2011. I started getting daily palpitations. Then one day I suffered from shortness of breath or dyspnea, later on in the day chest pains developed. I immediately rushed myself to the ER. when I finally got seen by the doc. He listened to my heart beat and my breathing via a stethoscope. He told me that my breathing is fine and that he doesn't hear any wheezing. He also told me that my heart rate is nice and slow. He compared my heart rate to that of an athlete. He also told me that he doesn't hear any heart murmurs. He then asked me a few questions about my daily life and diagnosed me with stress and anxiety. I felt better for a few days then the symptoms came back. The palpitations returned and I started being out of breath easily. No matter what I did I would be out of breath. If I walked up stairs I'd be out of breath. If I laughed too hard I'd be out of breath. I could no longer do physical activity. Running and jogging were no more Sad then it got to a point that I would experience palpitations merely by standing. Naturally I became very conscious of my heartbeat. I can no longer take my mind off it. I can feel it beating in my chest when I lay down. One day I was late for the bus so I semi sprinted to the bus stop. After coming to a rest I automatically paid attention to my heart beat and started to focus in on it. I had a very irregular heartbeat. It felt like my heart would beat 2-3 times then stop then beat hard once then repeat this rhythm. I started to panic and began feeling faint and lightheaded. My arms started tingling and my hands felt cold. I could not sit still. I had to walk around and drink water. After that ordeal I avoided running completely. Now we fast forward about a month to present day. I can now stand without palpitations. I can do a light jog for a few feet without problems. But I am still very conscious of my heart beat all the time. ALL THE TIME. I suffer now from cold hands when in cooler than warm places. My house has cold air condition and my hands would be cold as long as I am active. The minute I lay down to rest my hands would warm up. This is a constant thing now. As of present I still fear physical activity. The minute I do anything too physical I start thinking about the bus ordeal and the irregular heart rate. I now suffer from muscle twitches in my calves, thighs, shoulders, eyelid and face, most frequently when I lie down. I have always suffered from dizziness upon standing too quickly since I was a kid. Sometimes if I do something to suddenly or abruptly my heart rate would jump up and it feels very uncomfortable. I have to do something lightly physical to try to balance this heart rate out. My heart rate is generaly quite slow. I don't suffer from a rapid heart rate when I am at rest. My resting heart rate is 56 bpm. Sometimes when I'm sleeping I jump out of my sleep. Especially when I'm just about to fall asleep. Over the last few days sleeping has been difficult because I can feel every heart beat when I rest. I figit around while lying down just so I don't feel my heart beat on such a conscious level. It is very hard to fall asleep while constantly figiting. When I finally fall asleep I dream about my heart. I just cannot escape it. I must admit that I'm stressed daily. Highly stressed. Especially since I worry about my heart all day long. I find hanging out with friends to be very comforting. Anything to take my mind off it. I used to be the happiest kid in the world. Now I am just a complete wreck. I hate life. I envy others who feel healthy. I am in tears writing this post. Someone please help me. I am a Male, 24 years old. 5 foot 8 inches tall and weigh a measly 128 pounds
Did you find this post helpful?
|

User Profile
replied March 2nd, 2012
Experienced User
So, the doc diagnosed you with stress and anxiety, and you're describing panic attacks in your post. Have you told your doc the extent of your symptoms, like you posted them here? (if not, he really needs to know, asap)

I'm thinking you need more help than an ER visit, really, and there's certainly more help to be had. There's various types of therapy, meds to help control symptoms while therapy takes hold, there's alternative treatments like meditation and herbal remedies, acupuncture even works for some people.

I don't know if where you are you'd need a referral to a therapist or a psychiatrist, so I don't know if you need to start with your regular doctor, but that's where you need to aim.

In the meantime, you could type your symptoms into google and see what comes up--there's tons of info out there, you'll find others who share your symptoms, stories of what did (and didn't) work, what different types of therapy involve, help on how to talk to your doctor, just go and look.
|

replied March 19th, 2012
See a doctor
I would have a cardiologist do an echo. I had a lot of the same symptoms and I have hypertrophic obstructive cardiomyopathy. It sounds like it could be either one. I would get it checked out by a doctor. The only thing is they said you did not have a murmur , I do, but in your description it almost sounds like you are describing one. Good luck.
|
Must Read
What happens during a heart attack? Get heart attack facts here....
What causes a heart attack? Are women more likely than men to have a heart attack? We review the risk factors and causes of heart attack here....
Can you identify early signs and symptoms of a heart attack? Are women heart attack symptoms different than men? Click here to learn when to seek help....