User Profile
I am 30 yr old man who was diagnosed with Mitral valve prolapse and mitral and tricuspid regurgitation a decade ago. It was confirmed by a Cardiologist that due to that, I have very sensitive Autonomic nervous system as I am very hypersensitive man and get severe Anxiety/Panic attacks.

6 months ago, i had the biggest panic attack of my life, where i felt i could not breath, fast heart palpitations, dizziness and imbalance, heaviness in head, chest pain , sweating of palms, fear of dying.

I went straight to the emergency department of the Hospital where all my blood tests, Echocardigram, chest X-rays were done and everything was ok, just MVP, which was known.

Now, when i was diagnosed with MVP, my cardiologist put me on Beta blocker "Propranolol 40mg" and "Clonazepam 0.5mg" daily, which i stopped on my own after 30 days(a mistake). Even after 6 months , I have horrible withdrawal symptoms like dizziness, headaches, imbalance, sensitive ears etc.
Is beta blocker necessary for life?

Did you find this post helpful?
|

User Profile
replied June 20th, 2018
Heart Disease and Heart Attack Answer A64032
Yes, in patients with symptoms of panic attack and symptomatic tachycardia (elevated heart rate), betablockers are the therapy of choice.

Hence it would be recommmended to continue the treatment as per your doctors opinion.

Also you should not stop prescription medications without your doctors advice.

|
Did you find this post helpful?
Quick Reply
Must Read
What happens during a heart attack? Get heart attack facts here....
What causes a heart attack? Are women more likely than men to have a heart attack? We review the risk factors and causes of heart attack here....
Can you identify early signs and symptoms of a heart attack? Are women heart attack symptoms different than men? Click here to learn when to seek help....
DISCLAIMER: "Ask a Doctor" questions are answered by certified physicians and other medical professionals. For more information about experts participating in the "Ask a Doctor" Network, please visit our medical experts page. You may also visit our Heart Disease and Heart Attack , for moderated patient to patient support and information.

The information provided on eHealth Forum is designed to improve, not replace, the relationship between a patient and his/her own physician. Personal consultation(s) with a qualified medical professional is the proper means for diagnosing any medical condition.