Hi my name is Melissa Philips and I live in Bloomingdale, IL. I am a pretty healthy teenager who plays basketball, soccer, and volleyball. I regularly run and swim too, so there is no room to say that i am not healthy and active. Recently, (within the past 6 months to a year or so) i have been having two types of episodes. one of the episodes have become less frequent and the worse type of episodes have become more frequent. While running or exercising I would experience palpitations, i feel lightheaded, dizziness, and i experience chest pain. I have only passed out once from one of these episodes. The pain and palpitations are sudden, and the pain type is somewhat throbbing. I went to the emergency room and had an EKG, an electrocardiogram, blood tests, and i have worn a heart monitor for 30 days. (This was all done in August of 2008.)They found nothing and completely let it go. Now, I have worse episodes. This however, is a new type of pain. Sometimes it happens six times a day, other times only once every couple of days. but every time it happens it is worse or equally painful to the time before. What happens is that I will be sitting at my desk or even laying down when it happens. It seems to have nothing to do with physical activity. What happens is I have a sudden sharp and stabbing pain in the left side of my chest, just underneath my breast bone in my ribs. The pain is made worse with sudden movement or taking a deep breath. Ive discovered it's also better with bending over, and the attacks usually last for only about 2 minutes each. After pain goes away, i will taste blood in my mouth and the back of my throat. I have gone on Webmd.com on the symptom checker and every time i put in these symptoms it repeatedly tells me to seek emergency medical attention if I'm experiencing those symptoms. But the problem is that they come and go so fast, i don't think they could do anything for me. My parents know the situation but they wont take me to the doctor for two reasons. One, They think that since my tests were all clear a year ago that it should still be okay now. And two, The episodes come and go so fast that they cant get me in the ER in time to have me checked out. Could I be having heart attacks at 14 years old? what other things could be causing these episodes? Ive also heard about Pulmonary Embolism and Pleurisy. If you could give me information on what these conditions are and if i have any of the symptoms that would be helpful also. thanks.
Did you find this post helpful?
|

replied July 24th, 2009
The pleura is a two layered sac that holds the lungs and separates them from the chest wall, diaphragm, and heart. Pleurisy results from an inflammation of this sac. Infectious disease caused by virus, bacteria, fungus, tuberculosis, or parasites.

Pleurisy may be caused by infection, injury, or tumor. Pleurisy may be a complication of underlying lung diseases, particularly of pneumonia, or sometimes of tuberculosis, lung abscesses, or influenza. Pleurisy can also occur spontaneously without any preceding problem.

The major symptom of dry pleurisy is a sharp, stabbing pain towards the side and lower part of the chest. The pain may also be felt along the shoulders, neck and abdomen. Any movement involving the chest, such as breathing or coughing, will aggravate the pain, which may be accompanied by shortness of breath, a dry cough, and fever.
Wet pleurisy is characterized by similar symptoms, but there may also be difficulty in breathing.
|

replied July 26th, 2009
I dont know, but i have something similar. let me know if you figure out what it is. i'm still doing the research to find out why i'm having palpitations, dull chest pains, dizziness, tingling and numbness in my chest, and shortness of breath upon exertion.

i recommend you see your doctor.
|

User Profile
replied July 26th, 2009
Experienced User
I believe you have a nutritional deficiency, check out he following: ithyroid.com , vital functions of salt in the body & research correct hydration.
|

User Profile
replied November 8th, 2019
Thank you for asking at Ehealth forum!

I read your question and I understand your concern.
Recurrent and chronic thromboembolism can cause these symptoms but there is history of hemoptysis usually. I would suggest you CT chest to rule out thromboembolism.
Panic attacks is another differential but it should be down the list.
I hope it helps. Stay in touch with your healthcare provider for further guidance as our answers are just for education and counselling purposes and cannot be an alternative to actual visit to a doctor.
Take care
Khan
|
Must Read
What happens during a heart attack? Get heart attack facts here....
What causes a heart attack? Are women more likely than men to have a heart attack? We review the risk factors and causes of heart attack here....
Can you identify early signs and symptoms of a heart attack? Are women heart attack symptoms different than men? Click here to learn when to seek help....
DISCLAIMER: "Ask a Doctor" questions are answered by certified physicians and other medical professionals. For more information about experts participating in the "Ask a Doctor" Network, please visit our medical experts page. You may also visit our Heart Disease and Heart Attack , for moderated patient to patient support and information.

The information provided on eHealth Forum is designed to improve, not replace, the relationship between a patient and his/her own physician. Personal consultation(s) with a qualified medical professional is the proper means for diagnosing any medical condition.