User Profile
Hello I have recently been in the hospital and was told my heart is attached to my rib cage. is that possible and if so what would you call that? I went in with chest pain and shortness of breath but was not heart attack what could this be?
I suffer from depression and anxiety and have freqent anxiety attackes but take ativan for it. can you tell me what this is?

Did you find this post helpful?

User Profile
replied February 23rd, 2010
Womens Conditions Answer A10224
Hi, and thanks for your medical question on eHealth forum!

If there is chest pain and shortness of breath and the doctors said it is not heart attack but heart attached to the chest wall, then this could be pericarditis or inflammation of the lining outside the heart. Chest pain worse on lying down and relieved by sitting and leaning forward is the hallmark of this disease. It is often caused by hypothyroidism, uremia, or due to autoimmune disorders such as rheumatoid arthritis, SLE, sarcoidosis and scleroderma.

The other possibilities of chest pain with breathlessness are pleuritis (inflammation of lining of lung) or GERD or hiatal hernia.

Since a confirmed diagnosis cannot be given on net please discuss these possibilities with your doctor once. It would be good to ask for an Endocrine specialist and an Immunologist to look at your case. Please see if you can arrange. Hope this helps. Take care!

Did you find this post helpful?
Must Read
Menstruation is a woman's normal monthly menstrual period. But what are the signs of abnormal periods? When is vaginal bleeding serious?...
Regular vaginal bleeding vagina is a sign of healthy menstruation. What signs and symptoms point to menstrual problems? Read on to learn the difference....
Menstrual irregularity means that something is wrong. Learn how to identify the signs and symptoms of an irregular period to prevent larger problems later...
DISCLAIMER: "Ask a Doctor" questions are answered by certified physicians and other medical professionals. For more information about experts participating in the "Ask a Doctor" Network, please visit our medical experts page. You may also visit our Womens Conditions , for moderated patient to patient support and information.

The information provided on eHealth Forum is designed to improve, not replace, the relationship between a patient and his/her own physician. Personal consultation(s) with a qualified medical professional is the proper means for diagnosing any medical condition.