Medical Questions > Mental Health > Sleep Disorders Forum

hearing sounds during sleep

Hi, I just wanted to know if anyone could tell me if they have experienced something that sounds like electric shock or something like a phone that's on vibrate but way louder than that? I have been asleep and hear this sound that makes me wake up and start looking around, but it's always on the bed. I don't feel it I can only hear this noise. Does anybody know what this could be? Thanks!
Did you find this post helpful?
First Helper User Profile MandMs
|

User Profile
replied March 19th, 2008
Extremely eHealthy
For how long you have this kind of experience?
Is it always the same sound or noise?
Do you usually get the feeling of vibration throughout your body along with a loud buzzing in your head?
|

replied March 20th, 2008
I experienced it about 4 years ago for the first time, it doesn't happen all the time and it's the same sound. I never feel anything, it's all just sound. It's kinda like once I lay down I can literally hear the energy release from my body. It's weird.
|

User Profile
replied March 26th, 2008
Extremely eHealthy
Do you, usually, hear the vibrations when you are between wakefulness and sleep?
Have you also, experienced as you are perceiving the physical world from a location outside of your physical body?
|

User Profile
replied April 29th, 2008
Experienced User
Sleeping noises
Hey, i think i have had similar issues. Just a quick question that might solve everything... do you take any medicine when these noises usually occour?
|

User Profile
replied May 7th, 2008
Extremely eHealthy
Hi, PlacidIntricacy!
Have you noticed some connection between this issue and usage of certain meds?
|

User Profile
replied May 7th, 2008
Experienced User
Hello, MandMs :)
first of all, yes i used to kind of... experiment with different medications (i would suggest not doing that) and i came across quite a few that caused slight audio hallusinations when i was trying to sleep. I'd wake up thinking i heard someone yell "Hey!" and look around the room only to find no one there. The main cause i think was if the pills were past the expiration date. and also it was mainly medicine that could make it difficult to sleep such as Concerta (used for ADHD)

and second of all. i think i shall send you a PM =)
|

replied March 25th, 2009
Me too!!!
This has been happening to me for about one and 1/2 months. I have had an MRI which showed nothing, have been to an ENY Doc (again nothing). My Doc is trying to think of the next step. This is driving me nuts as I have no other symptoms. If anyone can think of something please let me know and if my Doc comes up with anything I will do the same. So far he has just prescribed sleeping pills that at least allow me to go back to sleep after I am startled awake otherwise I would be going into sleep deprivation mode.
|

replied March 6th, 2011
sleep problems
For the past 3 years now i have had horrible sleeping patterns. When i got pregnant it seemed to get worse... I was asleep one night and i had on the tv in living room, central air, window unit, and fan on and i was awoken out of my sleep from a males cough in my living room, i woke up looked around and went back to sleep it was like it didnt bother me...? Now i have horrible sleeping patterns where i have insomnia dont goto sleep til 2-3am wake up every hour with problems whether it be heart burn, restless, hot, or moving around wakes me up and i hear sounds but i cant tell if im dreaming or if its real?.. my husband works nights and my son sleeps in the room with me i dont know if its me being scared of things and last night i had a horrible experience where i woke up gasping for air for my life i felt like i was about to die and i actually had like acidy stuff come out my nose cause i like started almost throwing up.. my husband said i did this once before but he woke me up when he heard me gasping for air ... im going this week to get tested for sleep apnea .. hope they will be able to help me but if anyone else has this experience what did you do?
|

replied March 7th, 2011
Wow, that sounds really scary! I'm sorry you are having a hard time with sleeping and .... well, whatever that was that happened. I have had pretty bad anxiety for about 10 years, and I really hate it. It always seems worse at night.
|

replied March 27th, 2013
Depression, sleep problems, anxiety and vitamins
Try big doses of vitamin c and niacin
And slowly get off your other meds ( this might be a side effect)
|

replied May 20th, 2013
You are describing Sleep Paralysis
What you all are describing is known as "Sleep Paralysis". It's a common condition/occurrence that happens when you are in between REM and NREM sleep stages. The absolute worst thing you can do is become fearful and have constant thought patterns around that fear. It is perfectly normal. It could be due to meds. you are taking, or it could be due to a vitamin deficiency. Take a good multivitamin, drink plenty of water each day, go for a 1-2 mile walk 4-5 days a week, and have a scheduled or close to scheduled sleep routine. And remember, when you begin to allow fear into your thoughts with this, and yes that is normal because it is strange that this occurs, but when you allow fear in and begin to think around it, it will get worse. Build your faith up against it. Once I did, the one to two times it has happened again over the past five years (and it used to happen on a weekly basis for almost a 10 year span of time), it goes directly away and life goes on as usual. Smile Hope this post helps!
|
Quick Reply