Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Appendix and Appendicitis Forum

Health problems from living without an appendix?

Hi,
I had my appendix removed Christmas of 2001, almost 9 years ago. I was never sick a day in my life before then and in the nine years since I've had my appendix removed all I've been is sick. I've had joint problems (in every single joint), which they cannot link to arthritis or any connective tissue diseases, or autoimmune diseases, I've had gastrointestinal/digestional problems of which they can't figure out. The closest I've gotten to any sort of 'diagnosis' is they discovered I have dyspagia, which doesn't bother me due to a high pain tolerance, my duodenum isn't positioned properly, which leads to suspicions of SMA or Superior Mesentery Artery Syndrome, and my intestines (I believe large) are larger than they should be which indicates scleroderma, a connective tissue disease but I have no further symptoms...
None of these health problems were present until after my appendix was removed so I was wondering if not having an appendix causes further health problems...I believe the appendix is part of the lymphatic system which helps fight off disease etc...I'm always sick....
Thank you.
Did you find this post helpful?
First Helper DDSM04
|

User Profile
replied December 6th, 2010
Community Volunteer
Hi DDSMO4....If the appendix becomes infected it will burst...If this is not taken out it will infect the abdomen and the person can die...Back 42 years ago my husband had an attack so severe that I had to rush home and take him to the hospital...Dropped three kids at relatives on the way...This was at a time when hospitals were so busy that you couldn't get a room...He was rushed into surgery and put into bed in the hall for two days surrounded by curtains...They couldn't hold off...It was that close...He wasn't sick before this happened and hasn't been sick since...I would never encourage anyone who may have this problem to not go to the doctor immediately...I hope you feel better...

Caroline
|

replied June 9th, 2012
Have you been to a Rhuematologist? Sometimes having a surgery or traumatic experience triggers fibromyalgia. IBS and joint pain are only a few symptoms that's come with having it. I myself have it and recommend seeing one for a proper diagnosis.
|

replied December 15th, 2017
Hi DDSM04

Curious as to how you are feeling now? I see it's been 7 years since you posted. Hoping you have found some way to deal with things.
|

replied August 21st, 2012
I had my appendix remove as well and since then I been in and out the hospital I spent 2 weeks in the hospital because my kidney was bleeding I had to have 11 blood transfusions and the doctors didn't have a clue why it was bleeding I never gotten sick ever where I had to be hospitalized so I'm wondering now
|

replied February 9th, 2014
For me the same...after my appendix was removed (just because they were removing my gallbladder), I developed an infection and have been sick the rest of my life. I too, have been told I have autoimmune disorders but then change their minds, yet I am still sick. HOWEVER, I have now officially been dx'd with Small Intestinal Bacterial overgrowth and the appendix I feel regulated the bacteria and now that it's gone, it can't do that anymore. So they give you antibiotics to kill the bacteria in your duodenum but without the appendix, it cannot ever be erradicated.
|

replied February 10th, 2014
Almost dead from appendix? what
Your prolly having all those gastro problems from adhesions. It's when all ur insides bind and heal back up but joined together kinda. I know I have adhesions. I had my appendix removed after it ruptured in November 2012. Was in the hospital for over 6 weeks due to comllications. I had a auto immune condition and was on Coumadin. They couldn't remove my appendix when I got there. gave me plasma removed it the next morning. A few days later they noticed I was acting crazy. The infection had gone to my blood stream and I was septic. I ended up spending about 3 weeks on a ventilator, meanwhile they performed a second surgery to remove the abscess now poisoning my body and put two drains in me to help the process along. I don't know the order of what happened but the doctors found fluid around my heart. Leaky valve? Murmur, both I think it resulted in a pleural effusion? Or a pericardial window. Window that's it. Hospitals carry infection and I managed to get CDIFF while I was there. They kept me in a medically endured coma for 3 weeks so I could heal from the multiple life saving surgeries all from my appendix. I've had a lot of issues dealing with this since I've been out of the hospital. I couldn't walk after being in bed for 2 months had to go to PT. Such a "minor" surgery in the eyes on the public and I almost lost my life. And still battle day to dsy with the effects. And btw I'm now27 yr female was 26 att hr time. On Coumadin for anti-phospholipid antibody syndrome. Go get checked up. My mom had to drag me to the ER n thank god she did. I'm so use to pain n health issues. Didn't want to go..
|

replied December 8th, 2014
Life without an appendix....auto immune system and IBS.
I just don't believe life without an appendix is as simple as they say...It obviously has a purpose or it wouldn't have been there, like my brain, heart and other partseverything is there for a reason. Aged 10I suffered a very traumatic perotonitis of the appendix was rushed into hospital where the doctor felt there was little wrong as he couldn't feel any disorder. One day later my appendix burst leaving me so surgeons said just about an hour away from death. The aftermath left me incaserated in hospital for several months with acute complications in my gut. I had a external puss drip from my operation scar and severe temperature changes causing in and out fevers for many weeks.
Maybe it was the burst appendix situation but ever since that day I have had what would now be called IBS and appalling intestinal cramps on a daily basis and this is 58 years later. I have never had a good day, my immune system is crap I've had three bouts of pleurisy in the last ten years, bled severely several times from my penis which they now say is Poly Cystic Kidney Disease. Obviously I wouldn't be today and would have left this world almost 60 years ago if it hadn't been for those surgeons but I can't help thinking that the missing appendix or the after effects of an appendoctomy have quite literally ruined my quality of life.
|

replied May 16th, 2015
Your appendix is used to store good bacteria in order to keep gut flora in balance. Gut flora that is out of balance is associated with autoimmune problems. It is scientifically proven. So if you have psoriasis, arthritis, chronic inflammation, or a multitude of other conditions that may be described as idiopathic, then I would recommend a diet to restore you flora to a healthy balance, and see how that works.

|

replied May 20th, 2017
I believe that to be very true. Ever since I've had my appendix taken out I've had problems with gut/digestive problems and now have been diagnosed with Celiac Disease. I believe having my appendix may have been a precursor to this diagnosis.
|

replied December 15th, 2017
That is very interesting. My brother had a severe bout of appendicitis at age 14 and subequently had it removed days later. At age 40, 17 years ago, he was diagnosed with Type 1 diabetes. Would have been good to have known about balancing gut flora decades ago to perhaps have been able to avoid that.
|
Must Read
How do you know if abdominal pain is caused by appendicitis or not? First know where to locate the appendix in your body. Learn more here....
Classic symptoms of appendicitis include pain in the center of the abdomen that moves down and to the right. Learn more about signs and symptoms of appendix pr...
Understand how to diagnose appendicitis and abdominal pain correctly. Appendicitis may be the cause of your discomfort but symptoms vary. Learn more now. ...