User Profile
My daughter is 13. I've taken her so many doctors they still can't figure out what's wrong with her. Since age 5 she's always experienced bad stomach cramps. They thought she had celiac disease (doesnt run in family). All test turns normal. Now she's experience severe headache daily basis along with stomach cramps. She hasn't started her time of month. She hasn't slept in 4 days. Her teachers tell me it looks like she can't focus or follow instruction well. I had to give her benadryl to help her sleep. Tried xray, ultrasound scan of her belly, looked inside her stomach etc nothing out of place. Haven't done MRI yet. Dr wont give her one because they feel nothing is wrong. She still experiences pain on daily basis. Now i noticed back of her neck is tight and bit swollen. Dr said its nothing but stress based on exam by looking at her?!? What do I do? Her moods has been up and down every day. There's more to it but I'm frustrated. I just want her better. Help?

Did you find this post helpful?
|

User Profile
replied February 22nd, 2010
Stomach, Ulcers, Gastric Bypass Answer A10218
Hi, and thanks for your medical question on eHealth forum!

Since your daughter has cramps since childhood and now has menstrual irregularities, possibility of Crohn’s disease should be looked into. Crohn’s disease is a difficult entity to diagnose. Along with gut symptoms skin disorders and arthritis too are commonly seen with Crohn’s. An upper GI series using barium dye is done to see the condition of small intestines. The degree of involvement of the large and small intestine may vary from person to person. A biopsy is the most confirmatory.

An elevated ESR does confirm inflammation in the body. Low protein, minerals and iron in blood are the other findings in Crohn’s which may or may not be present. A recent advancement in Crohn’s diagnosis is video capsule endoscopy. Stress aggravates the symptoms.

The other possibility is worms in stool. Hence a stool test should be done. Many a times due to worms there is anemia and inability to have proper periods.
Please discuss these possibilities with a gastroenterologist once as a confirmed diagnosis cannot be given on net. Hope this helps. Take care!

|
Did you find this post helpful?
This question has been answered by the doctor. This topic is now open for public discussion, however no comments below this point will be answered by a doctor.
Must Read
Abdominal pain and bellyaches are common. Though most cases of abdominal pain aren't serious, sometimes you will need to see a doctor. We’ll review some of...
Abdominal pain can be uncomfortable but is very common. But when is pain in the abdomen serious? Learn how to describe your symptoms more accurately so that yo...
It's important to "know your pain" to help your doctor diagnose the reason behind abdominal pain. Read on for more tools and information about how to diagnose ...
DISCLAIMER: "Ask a Doctor" questions are answered by certified physicians and other medical professionals. For more information about experts participating in the "Ask a Doctor" Network, please visit our medical experts page. You may also visit our Stomach, Ulcers, Gastric Bypass , for moderated patient to patient support and information.

The information provided on eHealth Forum is designed to improve, not replace, the relationship between a patient and his/her own physician. Personal consultation(s) with a qualified medical professional is the proper means for diagnosing any medical condition.