Hi My name is Damien and I would like to tell my story.

I suffered a head injury at the age of 2 years old. I climbed on top of a grandfather clock and I pulled it on top of me because it was TOP HEAVY. It paralyzed my left side in which I had to learn how to walk all over again. I wasn't fortunate with my "Left Hand". Since I suffered brain damage, I haven't been able to use it since. Since then, I have suffered atrophy in my forearm and my muscles/tendons have been really tight. Earlier this year, I went to physical therapy because I had discovered the "Bioness H200" It helps people that have suffered paralysis in there hand by sending electrical signals through the forearm so it can open the hand. I decided to go back to therapy and it give it a shot. I went for 6 visits, I really didn't get that much out of it because my the muscles/tendons in my forearm were so tight. If this happens, the device is pretty much useless. I went to my neurologist and he gave me botox to loosen my forearm up so I could use my better use my hand with the device. He said that we may need to do more botox in the future if this doesn't quite work and that's definitely was the case. I just came back from the doctor thursday and he gave me the 2nd dose and I can already start to tell the difference. I called my therapist and I asked to set an appointment next week. I've got 9 more visits for therapy and then it's my insurance company cuts me off.

Does anyone know if some organization could cover the cost of therapy when my health insurance runs out?

Since the accident, I've had spasms in my hand all my life and over the years it has made my fingers "hyper extend"
The worst is the "INDEX" I've heard of buddy taping your fingers for up to a month but would that cure it since Its been like that for 20+ years?

When I'm using the Bioness, the only thing I'm worried about is the hyper extended fingers. This may be another downfall because I may not able to fully functionally use my hand because of this. If there's a way to cure that or if the buddy taping works, please let me know ASAP.

One last thing, Does any know of any good SPASM medication for your hand that is relatively cheap or some medication that has done someone some good?
Did you find this post helpful?
|

replied June 10th, 2012
I forgot to add one more thing, when my the spasms happen, that's when my fingers hyper extend most of the time.
|

replied June 10th, 2012
I forgot to add one more thing, when my the spasms happen, that's when my fingers hyper extend most of the time.
|
Must Read
How can you tell if a headache is serious, or not? What types of headaches are there? Get started learning the facts about headache here....
Do you know when to seek help for headache symptoms? Learn more about symptoms of the four different types of headaches...and when to go to a doctor here....
Headaches can be caused by various medical conditions. Learn which tests doctors use to diagnose problem headaches...and who you should see to start diagnosis....