Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Stroke Forum

He thought that the floor was moving.

User Profile
I think my father has had a mini stroke! He fell in the bathroom and explained whist laying on the bathroom floor he fell a few times from the bathroom before I noticed what was going on. He has since lost the use of his right leg and cannot without at all without great assistance.

Did you find this post helpful?
|

User Profile
replied January 24th, 2011
Stroke Answer A18844
Hello, and thanks for your medical question on E Health Forum. I am glad that I can help you.

From the history provided, your aged father with the symptoms of vertigo, weakness or paralysis of the right leg, and inability to walk, has indeed has had a stroke. The risk of a stroke increases with prior history of hypertension, hyperlipidemia, and heart disease.

In this case, Immediate medical attention and interventions are necessary to prevent further complications. There is no home care for a stroke. Please contact the emergency medical services of a hospital so that early and effective care can be provided.

For your information, the common cause of stroke is a blood clot in a brain artery. Immediate treatment may include a 'clot busting' drug to dissolve the blood clot. Other treatments include medication to reduce 'risk factors' for further strokes. Rehabilitation is a major part of treatment. Symptoms and disability following a stroke vary greatly depending on factors such as the part of the brain affected, how quickly treatment was given, and the extent of the damage to the brain.

I hope you find the information here helpful.

|
Did you find this post helpful?
This question has been answered by the doctor. This topic is now open for public discussion, however no comments below this point will be answered by a doctor.
Must Read
What happens during a stroke? What increases your chances of having a stroke? Stroke basics and info on the two types of stroke here....
Strokes can happen with virtually no warning signs. Learn the symptoms of stroke so that you can take immediate action in case of emergency....
DISCLAIMER: "Ask a Doctor" questions are answered by certified physicians and other medical professionals. For more information about experts participating in the "Ask a Doctor" Network, please visit our medical experts page. You may also visit our Stroke , for moderated patient to patient support and information.

The information provided on eHealth Forum is designed to improve, not replace, the relationship between a patient and his/her own physician. Personal consultation(s) with a qualified medical professional is the proper means for diagnosing any medical condition.