Medical Questions > Mental Health > Schizophrenia Forum

he refuses to go back to the doctor...

User Profile
How does one help someone that is schizophrenic? He refuses to take any meds, and distrusts doctors and hospitals. He has been on meds once before but....he refuses to go back to the doctor to get more.

He is going through an episode right now. Watching Hellraiser 4 over and over agn, says he is Pinhead now, talking to himself or the voices that he is hearing,
constantly laughing, seeing things....sometimes he just goes in and out the front door randomly and talks to someone outside (I know there is noone there). He also likes to go online and talks to the computer.

I try to help by playing soothing music and just be reassuring. I know it doesn't help to say what he is seeing and hearing isn't real. I have tried suggest going to a doctor but he ignores me when I do. So, I have stopped suggesting it because I know he is afraid to go back to the hospital again (they may admit him) and I don't want to violate his trust in me.

Did you find this post helpful?

User Profile
replied January 2nd, 2012
Schizophrenia Answer A29946
Hi, and thanks for your medical question on eHealth forum!

I am sorry for the late reply and sorry to hear about your boyfriend. You need to get him into a group counseling or therapy to start with. Also maybe you can have someone come home and talk to him. I suggest you consult his treating doctor along with a detailed history of his symptoms and ask for his advice. Maybe the doctor can give you suggestions that may prove helpful. Take care!

Did you find this post helpful?
Quick Reply
Must Read
Schizophrenia is a lifelong brain disorder. But how do doctors define it? And is there a cure?...
What causes schizophrenia? And what are the risks of developing this treatable mental illness?...
The first signs of schizophrenia may be difficult to identify. Learn the most common signs and symptoms of schizophrenia and know when to ask for medical help....
DISCLAIMER: "Ask a Doctor" questions are answered by certified physicians and other medical professionals. For more information about experts participating in the "Ask a Doctor" Network, please visit our medical experts page. You may also visit our Schizophrenia , for moderated patient to patient support and information.

The information provided on eHealth Forum is designed to improve, not replace, the relationship between a patient and his/her own physician. Personal consultation(s) with a qualified medical professional is the proper means for diagnosing any medical condition.