Medical Questions > Mental Health > Schizophrenia Forum

he is seeing and hearing things ?

User Profile
Okay I have a friend who says that he is seeing and hearing things that he knows arent really there and that he is depressed and somewhat suicidal. I am so worried about him, what is wrong or how can I help him, because he doesnt want to confront the problem or see a doctor. So what can i do?

Did you find this post helpful?

User Profile
replied May 12th, 2011
Schizophrenia Answer A22876

Welcome to the ehealthforum and I am glad to help you out. The symptoms which you have mentioned are known as hallucinations which can be both visual as well as hereditary.

Such hallucinations can occur in schizophrenia as well as in depression. Schizophrenia is also called split personality and in this there are abnormalities in the perception or expression of reality.

Treatment consists of antipsychotic medicines, cognitive behavior therapy and psychotherapy.
Depression is treated with the various available anti-depressants.

My sincere advice would be to get it evaluated from a psychiatrist. It is very difficult to precisely confirm a diagnosis without examination and investigations and the answer is based on the medical information provided.

For exact diagnosis, you are requested to consult your doctor. I sincerely hope that helps. Take care.

Did you find this post helpful?
This question has been answered by the doctor. This topic is now open for public discussion, however no comments below this point will be answered by a doctor.
Quick Reply
Must Read
Schizophrenia is a lifelong brain disorder. But how do doctors define it? And is there a cure?...
What causes schizophrenia? And what are the risks of developing this treatable mental illness?...
The first signs of schizophrenia may be difficult to identify. Learn the most common signs and symptoms of schizophrenia and know when to ask for medical help....
DISCLAIMER: "Ask a Doctor" questions are answered by certified physicians and other medical professionals. For more information about experts participating in the "Ask a Doctor" Network, please visit our medical experts page. You may also visit our Schizophrenia , for moderated patient to patient support and information.

The information provided on eHealth Forum is designed to improve, not replace, the relationship between a patient and his/her own physician. Personal consultation(s) with a qualified medical professional is the proper means for diagnosing any medical condition.