Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Brain and Head Injuries Forum

he has a penal cyst while in the hospital he felt a"pop".

User Profile
My boyfriend is 45 years old. He was hospitalized for severe dehydration and lactic acidosis. He found out a few months ago that he has a penal cyst. I didn't find out this happened until we got home but he said while in the hospital he felt a"pop" sensation in his brain. He said he had no pain and is acting the same except for being tired. Could this have been the cyst popping or something else?

Did you find this post helpful?

User Profile
replied May 16th, 2015
Brain and Head Injuries Answer A52193
Welcome to e health forum.

It is more likely that your boyfriend has a Pineal Cyst, which was incidentally found.

A pineal gland cyst is a benign cyst originating in the pineal gland, a small endocrine system gland in the brain.

The vast majority of pineal cysts are small (less than 1 cm) and are asymptomatic.

In almost all such cases no treatment is necessary, and in most cases, provided the cyst is small, then no imaging follow-up is required.

When cysts are above 10-12 mm in diameter follow-up imaging may be necessary. Cyst enlargement is rare and seen only in 3% cases.

If the cyst enlarges further and exerts pressure on the surrounding structures, then they can result in symptoms like headache, seizures, vision disturbances, etc.

It would be recommended that your boyfriend gets clear information and status about the gland, and if needed seek MRI scans to clear all his doubts.

I hope this helps.

Did you find this post helpful?
Quick Reply
Must Read
How can you tell if a headache is serious, or not? What types of headaches are there? Get started learning the facts about headache here....
Do you know when to seek help for headache symptoms? Learn more about symptoms of the four different types of headaches...and when to go to a doctor here....
Headaches can be caused by various medical conditions. Learn which tests doctors use to diagnose problem headaches...and who you should see to start diagnosis....
DISCLAIMER: "Ask a Doctor" questions are answered by certified physicians and other medical professionals. For more information about experts participating in the "Ask a Doctor" Network, please visit our medical experts page. You may also visit our Brain and Head Injuries , for moderated patient to patient support and information.

The information provided on eHealth Forum is designed to improve, not replace, the relationship between a patient and his/her own physician. Personal consultation(s) with a qualified medical professional is the proper means for diagnosing any medical condition.