Medical Questions > Cancer > Testicular Cancer Forum

HCG injections showing as tumor markers

Was diagnosed in 1999 with metastatic seminoma (testicular cancer) underwent radical left orchiectomy and exploratory lap. 17 cm x 18 cm x 9 cm mass retroperitoneal (inoperable) underwent standard BEP x 4 cycles mass reduced by over half, tumor markers normalized. Less than two months later mass increased to original size, tumor markers through the roof. Sent to MD Anderson for salvage chemo. Very intense and damaging along with finish up of 23 bursts or radiation. No tumor markers for past 10 years, mass remains at 3 cm and calcified. Remaining testicle began dropping off on testosterone levels, weight went up and up no matter how much I worked out or dieted. Placed on TESTIM, got stronger, felt better but weight still up. 286 pounds on a 5'11'' frame. Decided to try HCG injections along with very low calorie diet. Went in for normal yearly follow up for testicular cancer approximately four days into the injections and blood work came back "unusually high beta-HCG" Doctor contacted a few GU oncologist he knows and they seem to believe that after 10 years a testicular cancer can recur. Informed him that I was on the HCG protocol but he wants to be sure. I'm 50 now and was diagnosed at age 39.

All this to ask if it is possible that HCG can show up as beta-HCG in blood work? I am going to finish the next few shots as it is recommended to do a minimum of 21-23 injections before knocking off. I will wait 2 weeks and then repeat the blood work. So far I've lost 29 pounds and feel great and was hoping to go the full 40 day program. Thanks for any information you can give me.
Did you find this post helpful?
|

User Profile
replied September 4th, 2009
In general, I would not recommend HCG injections with a prior history of testicular cancer. First of all, these injections may be increasing the beta-HCG levels in your blood, which would make it impossible for your doctors to know whether or not your cancer has recurred. Secondly, there is a possibility that regular HCG injections might stimulate the growth of any dormant cancer cells still left in your body.

Sincerely/ Robert A. Wascher, MD, FACS

http://doctorwascher.com

A landmark, evidence-based guide to a healthy cancer-prevention lifestyle, based on cutting-edge cancer research.
|
Did you find this post helpful?
DISCLAIMER: "Ask a Doctor" questions are answered by certified physicians and other medical professionals. For more information about experts participating in the "Ask a Doctor" Network, please visit our medical experts page. You may also visit our Testicular Cancer , for moderated patient to patient support and information.

The information provided on eHealth Forum is designed to improve, not replace, the relationship between a patient and his/her own physician. Personal consultation(s) with a qualified medical professional is the proper means for diagnosing any medical condition.