Medical Questions > Womens Health > Infertility Forum

HCG drop drop with vanishing twin syndrome?

Must Read
If you're experiencing difficult conceiving, you are not alone. Learn how doctors define infertility and how infertility affects both men and women here....
Many things cause fertility problems. Learn common causes of infertility for men and women here, plus info on factors that affect the ability to conceive....
Sometimes fertility do not manifest any symptoms. Other times there are definite signs. Learn to identify possible problems and know when to ask for help....
User Profile
I have a question regarding fluctuating HCG levels. I just did a FET transfer with two embryos and my first hcg level at 9 days post transfer was 476, my second was 817 two days later, and then I got a call with the results 4 days from the 817 my hcg had dropped to 730. They called to tell me I was miscarrying but that they wanted to recheck the next day to confirm. I had accepted the fact that I would miscarry, and then 24 hours later my level had risen to 1001. I know that hcg levels should double every 48-72 hours at least and that any drop means something is not normal. My question is that could it be possible to see this drop with vanishing twin syndrome if both embryos took, or is that just hopeful thinking.


Did you find this post helpful?

User Profile
replied February 20th, 2012
Infertility Answer A31790
Welcome to ehealthforum,
It is possible to see a mild drop in the HCG levels if one of the embryos did not survive. If pregnancy gets confirmed, go ahead with getting serial HCG levels estimated. Doubling up of the hormone levels in 48-72 hours will show that pregnancy is going on smoothly. If levels are not adequate, then external hormonal supplements would be considered to be started to help you in preventing miscarriage/threatened abortion. A transvaginal scan done at 6-8 weeks of gestation will also help to confirm fetal heartbeat, gestational age of fetus/baby along with fetal viability. Visit your doctor/gynecologist for further evaluation and assistance. Be in regular monitoring and follow-up with your treating doctor/gynecologist and report any new/abnormal symptoms immediately. Take adequate rest. Drink plenty of water. Maintain healthy diet.
Take care.

Did you find this post helpful?
DISCLAIMER: "Ask a Doctor" questions are answered by certified physicians and other medical professionals. For more information about experts participating in the "Ask a Doctor" Network, please visit our medical experts page. You may also visit our Infertility , for moderated patient to patient support and information.

The information provided on eHealth Forum is designed to improve, not replace, the relationship between a patient and his/her own physician. Personal consultation(s) with a qualified medical professional is the proper means for diagnosing any medical condition.