Medical Questions > Mental Health > Sleep Disorders Forum

having very violent and brutel dreams

User Profile
ok im asking this question for my girl friend. OK my girl friend has been having very violent and brutel dreams like her getting eaten by things stabed and things like that including figures standing above her like ghostly figures and her getting choked and she gets really hot sometimes. She hasnt been getting alot of sleep for years and the question is what can be done that can help stop this? she has done sleeping pills and praying and theres not alot of stress in her life. she drinks here and there not a whole lot. she is a little depressed about her grandma and grandpa dieing but thats really it. i dont think its PDSS (post dramatic stress syndrom) because she hasnt had much stress in her life. Anyone the question is just like at the top What can be done to stop this?

Did you find this post helpful?
First Helper User Profile
|

User Profile
replied January 2nd, 2012
Sleep Disorders Answer A29937
Hi, and thanks for your medical question on eHealth forum!

I am sorry for the late reply. Bad dreams at night can be due to stress and anxiety. If you are stressed out through the day, have some fear or anxiety due to something or have had a traumatic experience in the past then this could be the cause. It could also be due to disturbed sleep patterns or a sleep disorder.

Your girlfriend needs to take up yoga or meditation. Drink plenty of water and eat a healthy diet. Cut down on coffee and tea. Exercise regularly. If still bad dreams persist consult a psychologist to analyze the cause. Hope this helps. Take care!

|
Did you find this post helpful?
This question has been answered by the doctor. This topic is now open for public discussion, however no comments below this point will be answered by a doctor.
DISCLAIMER: "Ask a Doctor" questions are answered by certified physicians and other medical professionals. For more information about experts participating in the "Ask a Doctor" Network, please visit our medical experts page. You may also visit our Sleep Disorders , for moderated patient to patient support and information.

The information provided on eHealth Forum is designed to improve, not replace, the relationship between a patient and his/her own physician. Personal consultation(s) with a qualified medical professional is the proper means for diagnosing any medical condition.