Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Heart Disease and Heart Attack Forum

Having surgery for heart disease or continuing with medications

User Profile
Hi,
I am a 32 yo Male have been feeling intermittant chest pain for around 6 months. I have been checked out numerous times both by doctors and in hospital, The first trip to the Hospital 6 odd months ago showed a minimal rise in traponin and other signs of a possible past Heart Attack.
Most recently I went in for a ct angio where was found a "kink" which was furthered by an advanced stresst test via dubotamine(or something) which brought a positive, straight in for angiogram and the "kink" is only repairable by way of Open Heart Surgery which the doctor at the time believes is a last resort, I have been prescribed Metoprolol and coversyl and told that they will have me back for another advanced stress test in approx 6 months to see if the meds do the trick? I have also been feeling exact same chest pain but much less intense as when the positive result was gained every day since angio, now nearly a week sometimes more than once a day while at rest.
My quesion is this, being a 32 yo who is still quite active, also having a large ammount of risk factors ie long family history of Heart problems on my fathers side, High than average b/p, high cholestorol (around 7.0 avge) and wanting to stay active, and a "kinked" Right coranary artery, are we not just putting off what may be the inevidable by avoiding surgery now and by doing so, limitting my activities in the at least next few years if not for the entire time I am on these medications? Should I be pushing to look further into surgery? Your answers are very much appreciated.

Did you find this post helpful?
|

User Profile
replied February 7th, 2010
Heart Disease and Heart Attack Answer A9840
Hi and welcome to the forum! I am glad that I can help you.

You would like to know whether you should have surgery or continue with the medical treatment.

A heart attack is a condition where the heart muscle suffers from ischemia and necrosis. After the necrosis the heart tissue is changed with fibrous tissue which is inactive. In certain cases the ischemia doesn't do much damage to the heart tissue and the circulation may be restored with stents or venous grafts.

According to the data that you described, you are experiencing chest pain due to ischemia of the heart tissue. Before you consider having surgery, you may consider changing your diet with low fat food and less salt. You should take part in light physical activity like having short walks and avoid running or any other sport. You should also quit smoking. If possible, avoid any kind of stress. You may consider consulting with a cardiologist whether you might need surgery as advised after six months.

Please keep in mind that I provide medical information only. I am not able to diagnose medical conditions online. Please contact your doctor or other qualified healthcare provider such as a cardiologist for further advice and information about diagnosis and treatment options for your current condition.

|
Did you find this post helpful?
Must Read
What happens during a heart attack? Get heart attack facts here....
What causes a heart attack? Are women more likely than men to have a heart attack? We review the risk factors and causes of heart attack here....
Can you identify early signs and symptoms of a heart attack? Are women heart attack symptoms different than men? Click here to learn when to seek help....
DISCLAIMER: "Ask a Doctor" questions are answered by certified physicians and other medical professionals. For more information about experts participating in the "Ask a Doctor" Network, please visit our medical experts page. You may also visit our Heart Disease and Heart Attack , for moderated patient to patient support and information.

The information provided on eHealth Forum is designed to improve, not replace, the relationship between a patient and his/her own physician. Personal consultation(s) with a qualified medical professional is the proper means for diagnosing any medical condition.