Medical Questions > Womens Health > Menstruation Forum

having sticky brown discharge for two weeks, late

Must Read
Menstruation is a woman's normal monthly menstrual period. But what are the signs of abnormal periods? When is vaginal bleeding serious?...
Regular vaginal bleeding vagina is a sign of healthy menstruation. What signs and symptoms point to menstrual problems? Read on to learn the difference....
Menstrual irregularity means that something is wrong. Learn how to identify the signs and symptoms of an irregular period to prevent larger problems later...
User Profile
My period is 8 days late, and I've been having sticky brown discharge for about two weeks I would guess. I haven't had unprotected sex. I've been having chest pains and stomach cramps and been quite emotional though, what's going on? I'm worried.

Did you find this post helpful?

User Profile
replied December 17th, 2012
Menstruation Answer A41034
Welcome to ehealthforum,
The symptoms that you describe (delayed periods, brown discharge, chest symptoms, abdominal cramps, emotional changes) could be few of early symptoms suggestive of pregnancy if you have been sexually active (none of the birth control measures give you 100% protection). Few of the symptoms could also indicate possibility of ovulation if the symptoms have occurred around midcycle time. Wait and watch for your next periods. If you suspect pregnancy chances (as suggested by your symptoms), or if periods do not start within 10 days of expected period dates, consider visiting your doctor/gynecologist at the earliest for thorough examination (to confirm pregnancy related changes/signs in body) and blood/serum HCG level test (to confirm/rule out pregnancy accurately). If pregnancy gets ruled out, further evaluation would be done to look for underlying cause for your delayed periods and altered discharge. Treatment as appropriate (based on examination findings and evaluation results) would be started to help you control the symptoms and regulate your periods. Be in regular monitoring and follow-up with your treating doctor/gynecologist and report any new/abnormal symptoms immediately. Drink plenty of water. Take adequate rest. Maintain healthy diet and lifestyle.
Take care.

Did you find this post helpful?
DISCLAIMER: "Ask a Doctor" questions are answered by certified physicians and other medical professionals. For more information about experts participating in the "Ask a Doctor" Network, please visit our medical experts page. You may also visit our Menstruation , for moderated patient to patient support and information.

The information provided on eHealth Forum is designed to improve, not replace, the relationship between a patient and his/her own physician. Personal consultation(s) with a qualified medical professional is the proper means for diagnosing any medical condition.