Medical Questions > Mental Health > Sleep Disorders Forum

Having a weird kind of sleep disorder. Anxiety perhaps?

At least three times this month I've woken up in the middle of the night with extreme paranoia. The first time was around three/ four weeks ago; I woke up around 3am after a nightmare and in my half-awake/half-asleep state I'd managed to convince myself I was still dreaming and I hadn't actually woken up. This paranoia lasted until the following day.
The second time was on Monday; I woke up around 2am and felt extremely paranoid, about what I don't know. It felt like something was crushing my chest and I was sinking into the bed.
And then it happened again last night. I woke up around 3am feeling really panicky and paranoid and couldn't sleep again until around 5am this morning.
I've suffered from an anxiety disorder since I was thirteen (I'm 20 now) and lately I've had it under control until last Saturday. Since then my anxiety has been acting up again. Could this sleep problem be related to it especially considering it only happens if I go to sleep worrying about something. Apart from that the only possible link is that all three night I went to sleep with a headache.
Any help would be greatly appreciated. Smile
Did you find this post helpful?
|

User Profile
replied July 4th, 2013
Hello,
You have to break your symptoms in two parts. Part 1 is your dream and part 2 is you reaction to it. Your reaction is definitely out of whack. If it continues I would advise to restart treatment for anxiety.
By Andre Strizhak

Providing Top Neurology Services in the New York area. Excellence in treating headaches, dizziness, and head pain.
|
Did you find this post helpful?
DISCLAIMER: "Ask a Doctor" questions are answered by certified physicians and other medical professionals. For more information about experts participating in the "Ask a Doctor" Network, please visit our medical experts page. You may also visit our Sleep Disorders , for moderated patient to patient support and information.

The information provided on eHealth Forum is designed to improve, not replace, the relationship between a patient and his/her own physician. Personal consultation(s) with a qualified medical professional is the proper means for diagnosing any medical condition.