Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Acid Reflux Forum

Have rather a large tum, due to constant bloating

User Profile
Hi, I joined yesterday, because I feel that I need support with this; I am gaining a lot of understanding with what is happening and now working on leading a fairly normal life, despite!

Due to gerd, I suffer terrible bloating, even when I eat a small meal! I have a large tum that sometimes, seems not so and other times, I look about 6 month's pregnant. I do take charcoal for this, and it works, to calm the bloating down.

My question is that I would like to try and lose tummy weight, but want to know if this is at all possible? I have always had a tummy, but due to weight gain, from prozac and female issues, my tum has got huge and even though, I have lost weight because I came off prozac, I still have a battle with this extended abodmen and it does get me down!

Because of acid issues, I am really strict with what I eat and yep my only luxery is chocolate, which does not cause indigestion. I cook with olive oil only and thankfully, have not woken up for sometime, with acid in my mouth.

Obviously I know that exercise is good, but am I in a pipe dream to imagine I can ever have a flat tummy?
Did you find this post helpful?
|

User Profile
replied January 21st, 2014
Acid reflux does cause bloating for sometime.However its temporary, Do brisk walking for 20 minutes everyday that will keep you active and fit and keep your tummy flat.
|

User Profile
replied January 27th, 2014
Experienced User
I had the same problem, I felt I was bloated and had acid re flux. I refrain from eating too much salty and fatty foods. I began to eat healthy foods more on fruits and vegetable and I have my daily exercise. Now I am getting better. I don't take soft drinks and alcohol too.
|

User Profile
replied January 28th, 2014
I just wanted to reiterate what everyone is saying, diet and exercise very important. No single diet can prevent all symptoms of GERD. However, designing an appropriate meal plan for GERD involves discovering which foods you tolerate well, and which “trigger” foods worsen your symptoms. Keep a detailed personal food journal for one week to track what food you eat, what time of day you eat it, and any symptoms that you experience afterwards. Once you have identified the specific foods and drinks that help and hurt your condition, you can modify your diet accordingly.
|

User Profile
replied February 4th, 2014
Good day!
Your troubles have reasons you love. Like chocolate and obesity. Modify diet and lifestyle and issue will poof away.
Here is how by
Losing weight (if overweight)
Avoiding alcohol, chocolate, citrus juice, and tomato-based products
Avoiding peppermint, coffee, and possibly the onion family[8]
Eating small, frequent meals rather than large meals
Waiting 3 hours after a meal to lie down
Refraining from ingesting food (except liquids) within 3 hours of bedtime
Elevating the head of the bed 8 inches
Avoiding bending or stooping positions
Also sign up to a proper well recognised weight loss programme approved by FDA and stay in touch with therapist for that. Lose weight slowly with 1-2 pounds a week.
keep it natural and stay natural. All the issues will go away and time to say good bye to luxuries if you want cure.
Now the ball is in your court,
Take care
Khan
|

replied February 23rd, 2014
For me, I found that eliminating wheat helped a lot with bloating and gas. I discovered, quite by accident, that I have a sensitivity to gluten and when I avoid eating anything containing gluten, I rarely bloat.

That is just me, though. We are all different. I know a functional medicine chiropractor who puts everyone who comes to her with gastro problems on an elimination diet. It's very, very restrictive, but it only lasts for 4 weeks. Then, foods are re-introduced one by one to determine if a particular food is causing a bad reaction. It's sort of like when first introducing solid food to babies.

There are tests that can be done to determine what particular food or food groups could cause problems but they are rather pricey so the elimination diet is actually cheaper.

And of course, there remains the admonition to only eat REAL food and avoid anything that is processed.
|

User Profile
replied February 26th, 2014
Did you know that Acid Reflux, or what people believe to be acid reflux, is actually a lack of hydrochloric acid, i.e. you’re not digesting your food properly because you don’t have enough acid in your stomach! so guess what all those anti-acid your popping probably aren’t helping, we produce this stuff for a reason. Surprised! i was.

*removed by admin*

Hope this helps someone, it helped me.
|

User Profile
replied February 27th, 2014
Experienced User
I believe advertising may be in contravention of the rules of posting on this site.
Nora has no medical qualifications. She advocates the paleo diet which is very controversial. (Look it up in Wikipedia.)

Whereas some people may well suffer from natural hypochlorhydria, despite Smarthealth's assertion, acid refux is more common - and is measurable by pH 24hr manometry or 48hr Bravo testing.

Acid and bile refuxing has to be taken seriously as it can cause permanent damage to the esophagus that can lead to cancer.
|

User Profile
replied February 27th, 2014
Apologies, I did mean to say that suspected Acid Reflux CAN be a lack of hydrochloric acid and NOT that it is a lack. To respond to 'robchris's comment Nora is extremely qualified in what she does.

Of course you should always consult a medically qualified Doctor if you have a serious or acute illness but when it comes to something like Acid Reflux you should additionally consider your Nutrition which is more than likely playing a bit part in the cause, hence my recommendation.

As any General Medical Doctor will tell you they are given minimal nutritional training and in comparison to Nora it's negligible.
|
Must Read
Almost everyone experience heartburn or acid indigestion at times. But what is acid reflux and how could it cause more serious problems?...
Can you tell the difference between common heartburn symptoms and signs of more serious digestive problems? Learn when and how to take action for acid reflux....
Heartburn is common, but it is not trivial. It's important to diagnose and treat heartburn or acid reflux as early as possible. Review diagnostic procedure now...
DISCLAIMER: "Ask a Doctor" questions are answered by certified physicians and other medical professionals. For more information about experts participating in the "Ask a Doctor" Network, please visit our medical experts page. You may also visit our Acid Reflux , for moderated patient to patient support and information.

The information provided on eHealth Forum is designed to improve, not replace, the relationship between a patient and his/her own physician. Personal consultation(s) with a qualified medical professional is the proper means for diagnosing any medical condition.