Ok so Im 22, female and have a list of problems/symptoms and im not sure whether they're related. I have a healthy diet, although have had some rough patches. But I've had these symptoms for years some of them with fluctuating intensities.
Constipation
Irregular menstrual cycle (sometimes 3-4 month gaps)
Pits and grooves horizontally on nails and bumps
If I stop exercising I feel lethargic
Easy weight gain (although now regularly active)
Pale skin
Broken blood vessels under skin
Thin fine hair
Bloating after certain meals

Are these likely to be related? Possibly hypothyroidism? I know tests are the best to prove it but if it likely is then I can at least alter diet or supplements to help it... and if not then what else is possible? And what is my best approach to solving it? I would go to a doctor, except im currently a british citizen in canada on a visitor visa whilst paperwork goes through... Hope someone has an insight!
Did you find this post helpful?
|

replied October 3rd, 2013
I was diagnosed hypothyroid in 2009 and had some of the symptoms you're describing, most notably lethargy, mental burnout, and kind of a dull skin tone.

By the time I got tested, I was feeling pretty under the weather.

Tell your doc to get your TSH and TS4 tested. It's really easy to do and you'll know within days.
|

User Profile
replied June 11th, 2019
Thank you for asking at Ehealth forum!

I read your question and I understand your concern.
Depression and hyperthyroidism share similar features. Anyhow TSH and free T4 should be done to rule out hypothyroidism.
I hope it helps. Stay in touch with your healthcare provider for further guidance as our answers are just for education and counselling purposes and cannot be an alternative to actual visit to a doctor.
Take care
Khan
|
Must Read
What does it mean to have low levels of thyroid hormone in the body? We outline how doctors define hypothyroidism here....
What medical conditions cause hypothyroidism? And what puts you at risk of developing these conditions? More hypothyroid basics here....
When are symptoms of hypothyroidism serious? When should you seek medical help. Click here to learn when doctors recommend you come in for a visit....
DISCLAIMER: "Ask a Doctor" questions are answered by certified physicians and other medical professionals. For more information about experts participating in the "Ask a Doctor" Network, please visit our medical experts page. You may also visit our Gland Disorders , for moderated patient to patient support and information.

The information provided on eHealth Forum is designed to improve, not replace, the relationship between a patient and his/her own physician. Personal consultation(s) with a qualified medical professional is the proper means for diagnosing any medical condition.