Medical Questions > Mental Health > Stop Smoking Forum

Have I damaged myself so severely it will shorten my life?

User Profile
I am 56 and been smoking since 18. I usually have never smoked more than a pack a day. But sometimes have.
Several yrs ago was told I had Chronic Bron. due to smoking.
If I obstain from smoking for a week I regain much,much lung capacity.Don't have any shortness of breath at all and can exercise intensely.
I have two questions--Have I damaged myself so severely it will shorten my life?
And--
Do the Anti-Tar Cigarette filters work?

Did you find this post helpful?
First Helper User Profile
|

User Profile
replied August 20th, 2014
Stop Smoking Answer A48846
Hello,

Welcome to the ehealthforum and I am really glad to help you out.

Since you have been smoking a significant amount for last many years, I suppose that it would have done considerable damage to your lungs. There is a saying that each cigarette smoked shortens the light of a human by 5 minutes. However if you plan to quit now, it will really help in regaining the lung capacity. I'll also suggest doing some lung exercises on a regular basis, for example incentive spirometer.

Regarding your second question, there is no advantage in using tar free cigarettes as these also tend to damage the lungs, although to a slightly lesser extent.

It is very difficult to precisely confirm a diagnosis without examination and investigations and the answer is based on the medical information provided. For exact diagnosis, you are requested to consult your doctor. I sincerely hope that helps. Take care.

|
Did you find this post helpful?
This question has been answered by the doctor. This topic is now open for public discussion, however no comments below this point will be answered by a doctor.
DISCLAIMER: "Ask a Doctor" questions are answered by certified physicians and other medical professionals. For more information about experts participating in the "Ask a Doctor" Network, please visit our medical experts page. You may also visit our Stop Smoking , for moderated patient to patient support and information.

The information provided on eHealth Forum is designed to improve, not replace, the relationship between a patient and his/her own physician. Personal consultation(s) with a qualified medical professional is the proper means for diagnosing any medical condition.