Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > HIV and AIDS Forum

have i already infected my husband? Scared to get tested

Early this year I got myself into a sticky situation. Had a few drinks and smoked some pot with "friends". I had a massive migraine and accepted a tablet from a friend of a friend. Woke up the next morning only remembering bits and pieces of the night before. Bleeding, sore in my privates. I went to the emergency room and got everything except the HIV shot because I have a phobia of needles. I'm an idiot. I've had two bouts of BV/yeast-like infections in six months. Could I have already infected my husband? Are the tests anonymous? Will I go into some kind of database? How many tests should I do?
Did you find this post helpful?
|

User Profile
replied November 26th, 2015
Welcome to e health forum.

As per CDC and WHO recommendations, any person who is suspected of being exposed to HIV should get HIV tests (ELISA Antibody test for HIV 1 & 2 ) at least after 4 weeks post exposure.

The 4th generation ELISA tests for HIV, detects both the HIV antibody (HIV 1 & 2) as well as antigens of HIV virus (P24 antigen). The test that is very accurate and sensitive at detecting HIV infection. ‎

Since HIV antibodies appear only after 4 -6 weeks in about 90% individuals, and ‎almost 95 - 99% of infected individuals produce the antibodies within 12 weeks of exposure. Hence ‎testing for HIV is recommended at a interval of 4 weeks, at least upto 12 weeks (3 months). ‎In your case, if the repeat test at the end of 12 weeks is negative, then you can consider yourself to be free of HIV.

The results following tests done before 4 weeks post exposure - do not have any significance.

The test results are confidential and the identity of the individual is never disclosed. Hence you need not worry about being tested for HIV.

I hope this helps.

|
Did you find this post helpful?
Tags: HIV and AIDS
Quick Reply
Must Read
Do you know what causes HIV? Get started by learning the facts on HIV and AIDS here....
Do you know what puts you at high risk of HIV? Debunk the myths and get the facts of HIV risk factors here....
Can you identify early HIV symptoms. Learn what to look for and when to seek medical help as we review symptoms of HIV here....
DISCLAIMER: "Ask a Doctor" questions are answered by certified physicians and other medical professionals. For more information about experts participating in the "Ask a Doctor" Network, please visit our medical experts page. You may also visit our HIV and AIDS , for moderated patient to patient support and information.

The information provided on eHealth Forum is designed to improve, not replace, the relationship between a patient and his/her own physician. Personal consultation(s) with a qualified medical professional is the proper means for diagnosing any medical condition.