Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Poisoning and Environmental Health Forum

have accidentally swallowed some small lead pieces

So, this is kind a weird question I guess, but I am kind a concerned.I really like fishing and I have spend quite a lot of years doing this in contrast to my age (I am 16 now, but I have been fishing since like 4). Fishing weights and some other stuff that needs to sink is made from lead since it is heavy and soft. But sometimes you need to form and press those weights and sometimes you just don't have any handy tool to do that, so I did this with my mouth. I am sure I have accidentally swallowed some small lead pieces while doing that. I mean those pieces were really small probably it hardly would make more then few grams in all those years. Since I grew older, now I understand that it is quite a bad thing and try to avoid that. But I still wonder could that cause any problems.
Did you find this post helpful?
|

User Profile
replied March 28th, 2016
Lead poisoning occurs when lead builds up in the body, often over a period of months or years. Even small amounts of lead can cause serious health problems, including hypertension, constipation, fertility issues, neuromuscular disorders, etc.

It is possible that exposure to lead and ingestion of lead particles could have affected you, and you may be still asymptomatic as of now. Treatment in time or preventive measures can help prevent any lead induced disorders.

Hence it would be recommended that you consult your doctor and get a few blood tests (lead levels in the body, and Peripheral blood smear, etc) to assess your possible exposure.

I hope this helps.

|
Did you find this post helpful?
Quick Reply
DISCLAIMER: "Ask a Doctor" questions are answered by certified physicians and other medical professionals. For more information about experts participating in the "Ask a Doctor" Network, please visit our medical experts page. You may also visit our Poisoning and Environmental Health , for moderated patient to patient support and information.

The information provided on eHealth Forum is designed to improve, not replace, the relationship between a patient and his/her own physician. Personal consultation(s) with a qualified medical professional is the proper means for diagnosing any medical condition.