Medical Questions > Parenting > Toddlers Forum

Has my 2 year old got ADHD!

I need help! I have a son 2 years old and me and other family member think he has some kind of mental health issues.
Just a idea of what he's like most of the day- he hits people you could just be talking to him and he will say no a gives you a light hit, won't leave the dogs alone I don't think she will have a tail left he pulls on it that much! He has to climb on every thing tables chairs when I put him to bed you hear him climbing on draws and his toy box takes him forever to get to sleep, he's doesn't listen most of the time, he cant just play with one toy for longer then a minute he's into every thing but he plays with new toys longer , i try limit tv but he stays and watches tv for hours seem to be the only thing that keeps him entertained but I don't want to use that as a easy option for me , he throws toys il could be putting his toys away he throws them back out, when we go to to park or playgroups when it's time to go he goes in a tantrum and refuses to get into his pushchair or car seat this is embarrassing for us and makes us not want to take him again,
What give me the idea of him having ADHD is when he gets excited he makes a fist with both hands and clenches his teeth together then shakes a bit while making a squeaky noise but he stops after a few seconds. He is the most hyper toddler I know and iv worked in nurseries for a few years, he has tantrums when he cant get his own way eg, I won't let him have a ice cream or he can't watch his program on tv he throws himself on the floor and screams when you try pick him up he flexes his body so it's hard to get him off the floor,he wakes up every night and just climbs in our bed. He also feels my lips when he's tired I think this is just for comfort.
But there are good points he can be loving 2/5 times, and some times he listens eg il say help mummy Put these clothes in the washing machine and he will put them all in and close the door. Sorry to go on and on but I'm desperate for help and answers I knew it would be hard being a first time parent but not this bad he makes you so tired, See I want to know if it's a health issue or our parenting skills need working on???
Can anyone give me advise on my situation? Sorry about any spelling or punctuation I wasn't the best English student lol.
Thanks
Anna
Did you find this post helpful?
First Helper sandeepdm
|

replied May 11th, 2011
Extremely eHealthy

User Profile
replied May 25th, 2011
my nearly 3 year old is exactly the same and always has been, he developed physically very quickly, but his emotional and cognitive development stayed appropriate to his age, and his speech is delayed. he also has frequent night waking and is prone to night terrors. i recently had him assessed and now have a diagnosis of disruptive behaviour disorder which is similar to adhd. As he is so young i refuse to medicate him, but having a diagnosis makes finding resources and support easier. It does, however, involve a whole new style of parenting. It may be worth talking to a pediatrician about this possibility
|

replied June 15th, 2011
My son i like a splitting image of yours and it is really hard on my own dealing with it. i hate to say it but it has made me not wont a nother kid and that is a horible thing to say but if it is adhd i will be rilieved cause i no that he can not control his behavier
|

replied June 21st, 2011
Extremely eHealthy
hate Reality Shows but one was interesting for raising kids; Super Nanny I think.. there are web sites so a person can pull up and watch any tv show ever (u have look it up)
they would take terrible case kids like above and really mostly required mom and dad to change. fyi
|

User Profile
replied September 30th, 2011
super nanny is ok but has some really bad ways of dealing with things, children with adhd require different types of parenting skills because their brains are wired differently. My son is also now being looked at for combo adhd and asperges. I would look for the Incredible Years Parentiny Programme, it helped me so much with my son, and it is still really hard, but i have some brilliant skills and tactics because of the course as well as friendships that will continue because of the bond of children with beghavioural and emotional problems.
|

replied February 5th, 2012
Hi All,
ADHD/ADD/OCD are not any disorders are they are people who are not busy with outtside world,they have own soul,passion in doing things,get day dreams and this is different from what the world asks,like concentrate and acquire knowledge and stuff like that,One having this need s to do what he likes to do,actually he has become ADDHD/ADD/OCD because he is trying to follow what the world expects from him and he is failing,so one needs to what they like and what they love.

i have OCD,i am from Bangalore.

regards,
Sandeep.D.M
|

replied January 17th, 2013
My son
My son is the same way he is two as well. I understand his need to do things the way he wants to do and explore the world around him and i want to give him that freedom to express himself because this is when he is most happy but in this world we live in i cannot be at his level 24 hrs a day i have to work, cook ect its so frustrating also since i am a single parent. I hope it is not adhd i don't want my son having to take medication which is more than likely what he will have to do to function in the world as it is today and I wont be here forever to help him. I wish I could dedicate my life to making his world safe and loving and just do what ever it is he wants to do. But im not in a position to do it. sandeep I have to agree with you on what you said my son is very intelligent I feel as though nothing is wrong with him he just has a different understanding than that of my own. What ever it is adhd or just being two years old I love my son and I just pray to have a better understanding of him and how to make this world a better place for him!
|

replied June 29th, 2015
ADHD
Can anybody help me at all? my 2 year old son , behaves for everyone else but then again does have a one of tantrum but when he is with me he will hit me kick me punch oinch pull my hair , bite me , strangle me , the list goes on it has gotten so bad i have bruises and cuts all over me , these are logged into a book so our family worker can see if he is improving or not, but it feels like they are doing nothing , i cannot take him out unless i am with someone else , and as i am a single parent that doesnt happen offen.When we do go out he will headbut the floor , go to headbut me , throws things , but if i sit him in the pushchair with a toy he is fine because he is fiddling with something , can anyone help me? i am crying out for help! is this adhd?
|
Must Read
Attention-deficit hyperactivity disorder (AD/HD) is a neurobiological disorder that can interfere in a person's daily life. Learn more about ADHD basics here....
Have doctors found an exact cause of ADHD? Do biological factors or genes have anything to do with it? More on causes and risks of ADHD development here....
What are the symptoms of ADHD and when do they first present? We outline the principal characteristics of attention deficit hyperactivity disorder to help you...