Medical Questions > Cancer > Pancreatic Cancer Forum

Has anyone had a Whipple Procedure?

After years of pain with pancreatitis, it has become worse, so my Dr. sent me to have a Tomography. Turns out I have a 5 mm mass in the head of my Pancreas, causing lots of pain and messing up the works everywhere! Having a biopsy done tomorrow, but was reading about this Whipple procedure and would like to hear if anyone has had this, and how did it work out for them?
Did you find this post helpful?
|

User Profile
replied April 27th, 2014
Thank you for asking!
Pylorus-Preserving Pancreaticoduodenectomy AKA whipple procedure .
This procedure's success depends on the expertise of the performer and a lot of precautionary measure and perioperative techniques. Also the extent of the tumor and the nature of the mass. Following things as precautions can reduce the mass
Thorough preoperative evaluation, as discussed in Periprocedural Care
Intravenous antibiotics for cholangitis or biliary sepsis
Prophylactic mechanical bowel preparation
Sequential compression devices for deep venous thrombosis (DVT) prevention
Preoperative biliary decompression if delay to surgery or preoperative cholangitis
Nasogastric decompression
Promotility agents, selective serotonin receptor antagonists, pancreatic enzyme replacement
I hope it help.Get the best hepatobiliary surgeon available and let him rip that resectable mass for you before it is too late
take care
|
Did you find this post helpful?
Must Read
Learn pancreas basics here: we review anatomy, how cancer spreads and different types of pancreatic cancer in this short intro....
Do doctors know what causes pancreatic cancer? Here we review causes and risk factors that may increase the likelihood of developing cancer of the pancreas....
Cancer of the pancreas do not usually manifest symptoms in its early stages. Learn what to look for and when to seek medical help for pancreatic cancer here....
DISCLAIMER: "Ask a Doctor" questions are answered by certified physicians and other medical professionals. For more information about experts participating in the "Ask a Doctor" Network, please visit our medical experts page. You may also visit our Pancreatic Cancer , for moderated patient to patient support and information.

The information provided on eHealth Forum is designed to improve, not replace, the relationship between a patient and his/her own physician. Personal consultation(s) with a qualified medical professional is the proper means for diagnosing any medical condition.