Medical Questions > Mental Health > Sleep Disorders Forum

Hard to wake up and always tired

This has been going on for at least two years now, I have always had trouble sleeping for as long as I can remember, but its been getting worse, and worse over these last two years that now its come to a point where I don't know if I can take anymore of this.

I sleep, and I almost need to be shaken to be woken up after twelve hours of sleep and still feel exhausted, I sleep for an hour, and can't get back to bed, sometimes I think I could almost slip into a coma in bed, or never be able to stay asleep again. I also get the most messed up dreams ever. My childhood wasn't anything big to me but a lot of nights I get intence nightmares most of them, dealing with the closest people comeing, and killing me, over and over and over.

I have extra problems besides the sleep thing, but I feel that perhaps the sleep could have a lot of strings attached to everything else, but i'm obviously not a doctor, I have no clue.

I don't really want to go to a doctor, since they scare me to the point where I can't talk face-to-face to them, and I really don't think anyone in this city could help me, nor do I have much money... no money at all to help myself, this has screwed me up so much I can't work, but i'm too afraid a doctor will call me crazy and send me to the hospital to be locked up forever.
Did you find this post helpful?
|

replied September 19th, 2009
Hmm, might just be easier to forget about it, then checking here everyday.
|

replied September 22nd, 2009
I have the problem of sleeping like a rock - not hearng alarm clocks and nightmares. I have been seeing a dr for 4 years. sleep study showed i have hypersomnia. I take a pill everyday to stay awake! the nightmares are from my own issues... which i deal with at therapy. One of the tactics used in my repetative nightmares... think of how i want to control the dream.. when i am awake. Visualize and tell myself - I control the dream. this does work. dr.'s won't think you are crazy. there are so many issues out there... ours are minute in the "crazy" category. stop caffiene also. especially 5 hours before bedtime. go to bed same time everynight. if you lay there for 1/2 hour and haven't fallen asleep, get up, leave your bedroom, get a drink, etc... try agAIN IN 1/2 hour. your body has to get used to the routine. hope it helps... but really... my doctor is amazing and has really helped me!!!
Good Luck!
|

replied September 28th, 2009
Hmmm, the previous poster may be onto something. It's worth checking out. Have you been tested for sleep apnea? My husband has it. He was extremely exhausted all the time and had nightmares that people were after him and wanted to kill him, (I think because his body was gasping for air) He also sweat a lot when he slept.

It's an easy test, they just put stickers on you to check your oxygen levels and breathing and you go to sleep. Nothing to be afraid of.
|

replied October 13th, 2009
I had the same problems.i was falling asleep while driving. i did the sleep apneia test the found nothing but one dr looked at the charts and had me come in for the Narcolepsy test which I guess i can say i passed with flying colors lol. anyway i have narcolepsy but also bipolar,depression,anxiety attacts and more but the dr put me on aderal the highest dose allowed and now i can stay awake and have more energy than before
|

replied October 20th, 2009
I have been suffering with excessive daytime sleepiness and sleeping more than 14 hours a day. I finally did a sleep study cause I knew something wasn't right. I was afraid of no one believing me. I mean my own family thought I was just lazy. About a year ago I was diagnosed with Idiopathic Hypersomnia. For a while I thought I had Narcolepsy. The difference between the two is with Narcolepsy a person gets refreshed after short naps. With Idiopathic Hypersomnia I don't get refreshed no matter how long I sleep and I have to take long naps. Your best bet is to be strong go see your doctor and ask for a sleep study. Sleep Apnea is another possible problem, but with that you wake up gasping for air and you stop breathing during sleep. I also have anxiety/panick attacks and depression among a few other health problems. So usually when you have one thing other things start to surface. I don't have any insurance, but when I did I tried a few medications that gave me severe side effects. Now, I have nothing to help for my sleep disorder and everyday is a struggle for me. But don't think that someone would think you were crazy and lock you up. It's better if you find out the truth instead of staying silent. You never know what you may discover that can change your life. I know from experience. I wish you the best.
|

replied June 14th, 2010
Sleep Problems
My brother (18yrs old) is very hard to wake up, and sleeps most of the day then shouts that we never woke him up.. sometimes he seems awake, but you know he is still sleeping and just talkes daft.
He woke from a deep sleep, ran down stairs crying and tried to leave the house shouting im going to die !! he then seemed awake for an hour or so after but was talking rubbish.. he was clearly asleep through it all..so we put him back to bed!!! what is this??
|

replied June 16th, 2010
Supporter
First of all remember doctors are not superior to you, they our just trained in their field. Think of them that way. Their are so many reasons sleep can be disrupted, its hard to pin point the exact cause because their are so many diorders that can cause this. Some may be thyroid disorders, others depression, anxiety, and sometimes a mental issue. Please dont be afraid to get help. It sounds like you need to get to the bottom of this. One thing you may want to try to help you sleep is melatonin which can be found in the vitamin section of the drug store. Melatonin is something our bodies produce and release to get us in the sleep mode. I would also suggest a sleep study, sometimes you can find clinical trials that will do them for free at many teaching hospitals. When we dream it is a way, although they can be weird sometimes is a way our minds our trying to work an issue out that we our having. If you want to have a laugh I have actually had dreams where I cant find a toilet. At the time its so frustrating. Please see a doctor, they are their to help us, not to judge us.
|

replied June 6th, 2011
I am scared to sleep
I am having problems with sleeping. sometimes I take a nap and I can here whats going around me but I can't wake. It takes alot to wake me and I am scared that one day I won't wake. I wake up shaking. Does anyone know whats wrong with me.
|

replied June 7th, 2011
Supporter
Dear scared26,

It's seems you may be a light sleeper and that's why you may be aware of what is happening around you. Everyone needs rem sleep which is deep sleep and the time we dream whether we remember or not. I would talk to your doctor about this issue asap. You definately are having anxiety over this situation. As I have said in my earlier post their our so many medical problems, both physical and/or emotional that can be causing this. The fact you are scared you may not wake up is a personal fear causing stress and anxiety. I was finally diagnosed over a year ago with severe hypothyroidism after 8 months of pleading with my internist that something was wrong. I was constantly sleepy and could not stay awake along with several other symptoms. My doc did the proper test but was using old guidelines as to what numbers were considered normal. After researching online I learned guidelines were changed for hypothyroidism and immediately made an appt. with a endocrinologist who put me on synthroid asap. My vitamin D3 was extremely deficient which was another cause of my extreme fatique. I am doing much better now but it took months for the meds to take affect. Its so important that you talk to a professional, get answers, so you can finally relax and feel better.

Cindy
|

This post has been removed because it did not meet our Community Guidelines.

replied November 3rd, 2012
I have recently started a project on Kickstarter which may be of interest. I started developing the "Morningsky Dawn Simulator" with my friend Bob Shives since that day a year or so ago when my alarm went off in the pitch dark for the first time of the fall season.

|

User Profile
replied August 4th, 2013
Hi,sometimes wen I go to sleep,I OLWYS have a feeling In my dreams that something heavy is coming my way.i tried so hard to wakeup andI can see my surrounding but still trying to find a way to wakeup.its like,someone is trying squash my brains and Iam woried that I wil never wakeup.so the only solution to wakeup is using my eyeballs to look in all direction so I can wakeup .i have been experiencing this problem for years.ive seen the doctor and he told me that it could be a nightmare.QUESTION IS,WHY AM I HAVING THE SAME FEELING OF TRYING TO WAKEUP USING MY EYEBALLS OVER THE PAST YEARS?it DSNT mk any sense.i thout that I might be sick or something.please help:(
|