Medical Questions > Cancer > Lymphoma Forum

2 hard bumps on back of my neckare Very tender to the touch

User Profile
Hello and thank you very much in advance. I realize how important your time is, and thank you for volunteering to answer medical questions!
I have always noticed hard small lumps. I have a reoccurring one in my groin area under the skin moves and is about pea sized. I had to have a cyst or some such lanced and stuffed with some stuff about 6 years under my armpit, and those reoccur occasionally but have not had to have one removed again since then.
Currently I have 2 hard bumps on the back of my neck, directly under the skull, on either side of the spine. These usually don't bother me except for when I have a headache, but they have grown recently and are VERY tender to the touch. Today the right side is very painful but seems to be smaller. I also have a bloody runny nose, no other cold symptoms.

Should I wait for my doctors appointment or go to Urgent Care? I am worried it needs to be lanced, or worse, is lymphoma.

Did you find this post helpful?

User Profile
replied February 23rd, 2012
Lymphoma Answer A31907
Hello and welcome to e health forum. ‎

The probability of cancers is very less likely, considering your young age. Symptoms like persistent ‎fever, weight loss, night ‎sweats along with multiple enlarged, painless lymph ‎‎‎nodes may indicate ‎conditions like lymphoma or ‎cancer‎. ‎

The description of the bumps given by you indicate them to be a inflammed lymph node or a infected ‎cysts. Such lesions increase in size with time, and hurt when pressure is applied. Treatment with ‎antibiotics might help to treat the infection. Anti-inflammatory medications like Advil, will help in ‎reducing the pain. ‎

In case the abscess is fluctuant, it may need to be drained by a incision and drainage procedure, which ‎can be done in your doctors office. ‎
Hence for proper treatment, you might consult with your doctor, who can ‎‎examine ‎you and provide a ‎proper advice.‎

Did you find this post helpful?
DISCLAIMER: "Ask a Doctor" questions are answered by certified physicians and other medical professionals. For more information about experts participating in the "Ask a Doctor" Network, please visit our medical experts page. You may also visit our Lymphoma , for moderated patient to patient support and information.

The information provided on eHealth Forum is designed to improve, not replace, the relationship between a patient and his/her own physician. Personal consultation(s) with a qualified medical professional is the proper means for diagnosing any medical condition.