Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Orthopedics Forum

hands and feet hurt at knuckles, balls ankles...

User Profile
I've been experiencing some puzzling hand and foot pain (NOT tingling) for over a year now. My hands and fingers hurt off and on, often around the middle knuckles, but sometimes it feels like it's coming from the sections in between. My wrists hurt too. My feet hurt in similar places—the toes, around the balls, ankles. The pain in my feet and hands comes and goes; sometimes it hurts with activities but I can also seemingly hurt for no reason.

Tests so far: Bone scan, CBC, ESR, and ANA all normal, but RF slightly elevated at 16. Rheumatologist cleared me. B-12 and D low; currently taking supplements. My TSH was 1.18. Primary also ordered a cervical MRI, which showed mild disc bulges at C5 – C6 and C6 – C7. No stenosis found. I then went to a neurologist, who performed an EMG and NCS. She found some irritation coming from my neck, but no carpal tunnel.

After PT, my neck has improved greatly, but not my hands. It's beginning to interfere with my life and I could use some help. Thanks!

Did you find this post helpful?
|

User Profile
replied October 11th, 2012
Orthopedics Answer A39471
Hello,

Welcome to ehealthforum and thanks for writing

As explained by you various tests have been normal till now so one possibility of pain could be increased uric acid. I would advise you to get this investigated once. Other causes can be osteoarthritis, rheumatois arthritis, lupus etc.

It requires a detailed examination and investigations as Blood test, X ray to rule out the exact cause. Continue with the yoga and avoid cracking the knuckles and unnecessary clenching of body. Have healthy balanced diet and reduce stress levels. Kindly visit an Orthopaedic for evaluation.

Take care!

|
Did you find this post helpful?
Must Read
Think you might be experiencing bone loss? Check out this Intro to Osteoporosis and evaluate your risk for developing bone weakness. ...
Although bone mass loss is normal as we age, some people are more at risk of developing osteoporosis than others. Are you at risk? More here....
Do you have severe back pain? Do your bones break frequently or with little pressure? You might be experiencing osteoporosis. Found out more here....
DISCLAIMER: "Ask a Doctor" questions are answered by certified physicians and other medical professionals. For more information about experts participating in the "Ask a Doctor" Network, please visit our medical experts page. You may also visit our Orthopedics , for moderated patient to patient support and information.

The information provided on eHealth Forum is designed to improve, not replace, the relationship between a patient and his/her own physician. Personal consultation(s) with a qualified medical professional is the proper means for diagnosing any medical condition.