Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Arthritis Forum

hand suddenly changes position? Arthritis?

Must Read
Arthritis is the most common cause of disability in the United States. Learn more about types of arthritis here....
Do you feel pain and stiffness in your body or have trouble moving around? You might have arthritis. Learn more about arthritis signs and symptoms here....
Signs and symptoms of rheumatic diseases are common to many different diseases. Diagnose arthritis correctly using these step-by-step diagnosis instructions....
I don't know if this is arthiritis but Im 16, and when i write before long my hand starts to really hurt. I try flexing my fingers out and than continue but the pain doesnt go away. And than recently this last month its gotten worse. Now sometimes when i write alot something inside my hand suddenly changes position in a way that i know it shouldnt. It only happens for about 5 seconds but during that time my hand not only hurts alot more, but i can barely move my thumb and pointer finger, and you can clearly see in the area between those two fingers an indentation where something (not really sure what) has shifted to the wrong position. When this happens i usually just try to stay calm and hold it with my other hand until it goes back to normal. This has also happened a couple times when i try to reach behind my back to unhook my bra. So far its only happened around 6 times but im afraid it will get worse?
Did you find this post helpful?

User Profile
replied March 25th, 2012
Welcome to e health forum.

The description of your symptoms appear to be due to tenosynovitis (inflammation of the soft tissues including the tendons, synovial membranes, etc of the hand).

You may benefit by a consultation with your doctor. Prescription of antiinflammatory medications (advil, motrin), wrist splints to restrict the movements of the paining wrist or fingers and adequate rest will be necessary. Application of icepacks should also be very helpful to control the symptoms.

Did you find this post helpful?
DISCLAIMER: "Ask a Doctor" questions are answered by certified physicians and other medical professionals. For more information about experts participating in the "Ask a Doctor" Network, please visit our medical experts page. You may also visit our Arthritis , for moderated patient to patient support and information.

The information provided on eHealth Forum is designed to improve, not replace, the relationship between a patient and his/her own physician. Personal consultation(s) with a qualified medical professional is the proper means for diagnosing any medical condition.