Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Epilepsy Forum

had two sessions where I have passed out...

User Profile
I have had two sessions where I have passed out completely or become so unaware that I can only remember flashes. The first time was in France. I passed out without warning and didn't become aware until on way to hospital after about 45 minutes. I was kept in overnight - had ECG, CT scan, DOPPLER of neck arteries, and 24hour ECG on return - no abnormalities were found. The second was a couple of weeks ago. I didn't pass out completely but can only remember little snatches, over a period of several hours. Apparently in the ambulance I had a small seizure followed by a period of low level consciousness. At the hospital I was told initially it was probably a TIA. However, was later told by a Consultant that it was not classic symptoms of TIA. I have since had ECG, DOPPLER, CT scan, MRI scan24 hour ECG and am awaiting EEG. Again no abnormalities found yet.

Did you find this post helpful?
|

User Profile
replied December 24th, 2012
Epilepsy Answer A41175
Hi,
Welcome to the ehealthforum and I am really glad to help you out. I do understand the agony you’re going through. As most of the tests have comeback as normal, I believe this to be quite satisfying as it rules out the sinister possibilities. The possibilities of the TIA or an absence seizure are always there. Although, the TIA typically presents with either a weakness f one of the limbs or an abnormal sensation moving up and down the limbs or a transient blindness and not typically an episode of loss of consciousness, it still remains a possibility. There’s also a possibility of a vasovagal syncope in which there’s a pooling of blood in the lower limbs and thus a decreased venous return to the heart and in turn compromising the blood supply to the brain. It is very difficult to precisely confirm a diagnosis without examination and investigations and the answer is based on the medical information provided. For exact diagnosis, you are requested to consult your doctor. I sincerely hope that helps. Take care.

|
Did you find this post helpful?
Must Read
Click here to learn more about what causes epilepsy and the different types of epilepsy. Start here to learn about the basics of this type of brain disorder. ...
Get the facts on epilepsy types. Identify signs & symptoms of epilepsy. We outline different types of epileptic seizures so you know when to seek help....
How can you know if you're having an epileptic seizure? We outline how doctors clinically diagnose epilepsy and other seizures here....
DISCLAIMER: "Ask a Doctor" questions are answered by certified physicians and other medical professionals. For more information about experts participating in the "Ask a Doctor" Network, please visit our medical experts page. You may also visit our Epilepsy , for moderated patient to patient support and information.

The information provided on eHealth Forum is designed to improve, not replace, the relationship between a patient and his/her own physician. Personal consultation(s) with a qualified medical professional is the proper means for diagnosing any medical condition.