Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Mononucleosis Forum

had mono in high school and college

I am a 34 year old female. I first started to experience symptoms of mono when I was in Highschool. Extreme fatigue, soreness. Before this I had a very strong immune system and excluding some pretty wicked seasonal allergies had very little health issues. I ended up taking a year off before I went to college, mainly so that I could recuperate physically. Felt a little better. Then I went to college. At the beginning of the school year, I started to feel fatigue like I'd never felt before. It made my highschool symptoms seem like child's play. i just assumed it was really strong seasonal allergies because I moved to a different region. Kept pushing myself really hard in school. Half way through first semester, the congestion became extremely severe, and then I started vomiting. Couldn't hold food down for about two weeks, not even water. Kept going to the hospital. They eventually recommend that I be flown back home. I did so and my GP put me in the hospital. My lymphs were the size of golf balls, my liver was enlarged, and I had wasted away quite a bit from the violent vomiting, couldn't walk on my own. I spent two weeks in the hospital recovering and then two weeks at home before I could return to school. Now, years later, I am still experiencing fatigue and seem to get infections fairly easily. I am prone to repository infections and vomiting. I also seem to be battling some gender specific infections constantly. Is it possible that this is still the mono or is it something else? Help!
Did you find this post helpful?
|

User Profile
replied August 28th, 2013
Experienced User
Yes, Mono destroyed your immune system. I had it in high school and at 30 years old. Once you get it twice it seems to really throw the body out of balance. 4 Years later and I'm still messed up in many ways.
|
Did you find this post helpful?
Must Read
Is mononucleosis bacterial or viral? Does everyone get mono at some time? How does mono spread? Basic facts and definitions about "the kissing disease". ...
Do you know what causes mono? Although children are more at risk than adults,what can you do to avoid getting sick from mono? Review risk factors here....
The symptoms of mono may not manifest for everyone who contracts the Epstein-Barr virus. But when are symptoms serious? And when should you seek medical help?...