Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Arthritis Forum

Had Meniscus Surgery.. Knee still swelling 5 months later

Hello,

To start, I had a traumatic fall 15 months ago that resulted in a large gash on top of my kneecap as well as a meniscal tear. I had some lousy diagnoses at first, but after an MRI, the tear was confirmed. I was fine for a long time, that is, I waited until July 2013 to have the arthroscopic surgery. Before that I had just done a month in Honduran cloud forests, hiking every day with no problem. Had the surgery a week after I got back, and it went well by all accounts. I recovered and did some PT, then went back to school in Montreal. Here, I have slacked on my PT, but everything was going good until about a mont ago when my knee began to swell up within the matter of an hour while I sit at my desk doing homework. It feels stiff and then by the end of the night my knee is really swollen, my kneecap is out of place, and there is significant discomfort. I usually remedy this by taking naproxen sodium, icing and elevating. And within a day or two, my symptoms go down and then I can walk pretty pain free after that. It will be good for like a week or a week and a half and then happen again. Most recently, my knee swelled up three days ago, got better, and now it has swelled up again. I'm pretty worried. I am considering seeing a doctor when I go home to get a fresh look at my situation. Are there any inputs to my situation out there? I also wonder if me sitting in place with my knees bent, and smoking cigarettes is contributing to the sudden swelling I have been getting over the past month. My left leg (where I had surgery) is still pretty degenerated, and probably could use more muscle.. Any help is greatly appreciated! Thanks
Did you find this post helpful?
|

replied December 6th, 2013
I will add that the swelling starts on the inside of my left knee, and seems to be outside of the joint for the most part.
|

Could it be gout? it seems to happen when im feeling cold
|

forgot to mention i'm 21
|
Must Read
Arthritis is the most common cause of disability in the United States. Learn more about types of arthritis here....
Do you feel pain and stiffness in your body or have trouble moving around? You might have arthritis. Learn more about arthritis signs and symptoms here....
Signs and symptoms of rheumatic diseases are common to many different diseases. Diagnose arthritis correctly using these step-by-step diagnosis instructions....