Medical Questions > Womens Health > Womens Conditions Forum

had a tubal ligation, dull ache right side abdominal pain

User Profile
hi I am 31 yr old female, I was steralised last November via tubal ligation, I have been experiencing severe left shoulder pain, (from half way across collar bone to end of shoulder) and also dull ache right side of my abdomen, my period is also 7 days late, could I have some advise please, thank you

Did you find this post helpful?

User Profile
replied September 28th, 2013
Womens Conditions Answer A44845
Hello Anna,
Welcome to ehealthforum,
Shoulder tip pain is generally indicative of diaphragmatic irritation due to blood which is possible if there has been rupture of ectopic pregnancy, endometriosis, abdominal problems like gallstones or pancreatitis, heart or blood vessel problems, pericarditis, pneumonia, etc. The exact cause can only be made out after careful evaluation, and you should consider visiting your doctor/gynecologist at the earliest for thorough evaluation to look for the exact underlying cause. Get started on further treatment as appropriate (based on examination findings and evaluation results) to help you control the symptoms and regulate your periods. Wait and watch for your periods. Look out for development of any new symptoms. Be in regular monitoring and follow-up with your treating doctor/gynecologist and report any new/abnormal symptoms immediately. Drink plenty of water. Take adequate rest. Maintain healthy diet and lifestyle.
Take care.

Did you find this post helpful?
Must Read
Menstruation is a woman's normal monthly menstrual period. But what are the signs of abnormal periods? When is vaginal bleeding serious?...
Regular vaginal bleeding vagina is a sign of healthy menstruation. What signs and symptoms point to menstrual problems? Read on to learn the difference....
Menstrual irregularity means that something is wrong. Learn how to identify the signs and symptoms of an irregular period to prevent larger problems later...
DISCLAIMER: "Ask a Doctor" questions are answered by certified physicians and other medical professionals. For more information about experts participating in the "Ask a Doctor" Network, please visit our medical experts page. You may also visit our Womens Conditions , for moderated patient to patient support and information.

The information provided on eHealth Forum is designed to improve, not replace, the relationship between a patient and his/her own physician. Personal consultation(s) with a qualified medical professional is the proper means for diagnosing any medical condition.