Medical Questions > Cancer > Breast Cancer Forum

Gynecomastia and lump on left chest

User Profile
im a 24yr old male i think i suffer from gynecomastia because i have a lot of extra breast tissue for a male which iv had since a young age but the problem is i have found a hard painless lump on the left side of my chest above the nipple and im not sure how long its been there could be years but what do you think it could be

Did you find this post helpful?
|

User Profile
replied March 18th, 2010
Breast Cancer Answer A10715
Hi, welcome to the ehealth forum and I am glad to help you.
You seem to be concerned by the hard painless lump on left side of chest above the nipple and gynecomastia since young age.
Firstly, it needs to be ascertained in your case if you are having true gynecomastia(the presence of granular breast tissue) or only pseudogynecomastia(adipose or fatty tissue only).During puberty, gynecomastia can develop in two-thirds of boys and usually regresses on its own and rarely lasts more than 2 years. Pseudogynecomastia is usually seen in overweight boys and is persistent unless patient tries weight loss by exercise and diet control.
If there is swelling around the nipple and the lump is soft and rubbery, this might be due to fibroadenoma(benign lumps)which though more common in females can occur in males as well. Another possibility could be of lipoma from the adipose tissue of chest wall around the nipple. Male breast cancer is seen in age group of 60-70 years. Risk factors for male breast cancer include exposure to radiation, a family history of breast cancer and having high estrogen levels, which can occur with diseases like cirrhosis or Klinefelter's syndrome. Symptoms of male breast cancer include painless hard lumps, changes to the nipple or breast skin, or discharge of fluid from the nipple. With your age of 24 years, the possibility is unlikely but with any painless hard lump around the breast,you must see your doctor right away who only can determine the true diagnosis after detailed examination and relevant investigations.
Hope this helps. Take care.
Note: This post is not to emphasise final diagnosis as the same cannot be made online and is aimed just to provide medical information and no treatment suggested above be taken without face to face consultation with health care professional.

|
Did you find this post helpful?
Must Read
Breast cancer kills more women in the United States than any cancer except lung cancer. But what types of breast cancer are possible?...
Why do some women get breast cancer and others don't? Click here to learn what risks you can avoid....
Do you know the warning signs for breast cancer? When should you see your doctor about possible breast cancer symptoms? More information here....
DISCLAIMER: "Ask a Doctor" questions are answered by certified physicians and other medical professionals. For more information about experts participating in the "Ask a Doctor" Network, please visit our medical experts page. You may also visit our Breast Cancer , for moderated patient to patient support and information.

The information provided on eHealth Forum is designed to improve, not replace, the relationship between a patient and his/her own physician. Personal consultation(s) with a qualified medical professional is the proper means for diagnosing any medical condition.