Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Lungs and Respiratory Disorders Forum

grandpa got pneumonia, having 100% non-stop oxygen

He have no significant improvement after 4 weeks antibiotic treatment. Hospital started giving him 100% oxygen with opened mask on 3/9 (last saturaday). The second day they changed to a close mask due to low blood oxygen level. My grandpa still looked not so bad and can talked and eat normally. On 5/9, condition not good, they changed to give oxygen by direct pipe to the repiratory tract. My grandpa seem very painful and could not open his eyes after that. On 6/9, he started not moving and no response to us. Until now, which is the 7th day of giving 100% oxygen, he had completely no response like a dying man. I obtain some information from web about the guidelines for using 100% oxygen which are to be used strictly not over few hours, maximum 24 hours which also need to break to few times r otherwise will got oxygen toxicity. i am so worry that hospital insist to giving 100% oxygen without a stop for 7 days! they said this is first priority to care for. Do someone know about that? thanks for help.
Did you find this post helpful?
|

User Profile
replied July 27th, 2017
Thank you for asking at Ehealth forum!

I read your question and i understand your concern. Keepin oxygen saturation above 94 % is the target, and in end organ lungs damage its not possible so high saturation oxygen is given, its dangerous in normal lungs, in affected lungs where keeping oxygen saturation is already a problem, it does not matter.

I hope it helps. Stay in touch with your healthcare provider for further guidance as our answers are just for education and counselling purposes and cannot be an alternative to actual visit to a doctor.
Take care
Khan
|
Did you find this post helpful?
Quick Reply
Must Read
Asthma affects more than 22 million Americans. But what happens during a respiratory asthma attack? Learn the basics about asthma now....
Some people are more likely than other to be diagnosed with asthma. Learn if you are at risk of asthma in this section on risk factors and causes of asthma....
How can you identify the signs and symptoms of asthma or respiratory problems? We list the common asthma symptoms here and discuss asthma problems....
DISCLAIMER: "Ask a Doctor" questions are answered by certified physicians and other medical professionals. For more information about experts participating in the "Ask a Doctor" Network, please visit our medical experts page. You may also visit our Lungs and Respiratory Disorders , for moderated patient to patient support and information.

The information provided on eHealth Forum is designed to improve, not replace, the relationship between a patient and his/her own physician. Personal consultation(s) with a qualified medical professional is the proper means for diagnosing any medical condition.