User Profile
hi i had a bad attack of gout 2 months ago they xrayed my foot and said that there where some bone fragments in my ankle they also said that i had bi lateral club foot in both feet but since i had the attack of gout my foot hasnt been right the skin around my foot has become very dry and is cracking also i havent been able to walk on my foot as normal as it is still painfull and i have to put all my weight on the outside of my foot i just wanted to know weather the pain could be on ongoing thing also because ive had a couple of gout attacks would i be at high risk of kidney stones and what sort of food i should be avoiding or taking to reduce the risk of further gout attacks if you have any suggestions it would be very much appreciated it thank you chris coombs 29yr m warwickshire

Did you find this post helpful?
|

User Profile
replied May 1st, 2008
Gout Answer A4017
Acute attacks of gout are treated with:
1. NSAID, especially indometacin. Indometacin also increases the elimination of uric acid through the kidneys;
2. Aspiration of the fluid from the affected joint and injecting corticosteroids inside the affected fluid;
3. Cold compresses and resting.

Prevention of further attacks of gout is done by keeping the uric acid inside the referent values. This can be achieved with:
1. Dietary regime – patient should avoid alcohol drinks (especially beer) and inner organs (liver, kidneys etc.). Meat, fish and some vegetables (bean, mushrooms) should be eaten in moderate amounts. You can freely eat cereals, milk and milk products, oils, fruits and juices, eggs, coffee, teas, chocolate, sugar, most of the vegetables, spices etc. Reducing your weight and drinking a lot of liquids is also recommended;
2. Medicines – Alopurinol should be taken after the third attack and if uric acid in the blood stays higher than 400 µg/L besides the proper dietary regime. Brobenicid is an alternative for alopurinol but only if the kidneys are functioning normally.

|
Did you find this post helpful?
Must Read
Gout is a common type of arthritis and accounts for about 5% of all cases of arthritic condition. But what is gout and what are the stages of this condition?...
Gout manifest for physical reasons...but what puts you at a greater risk of developing the disease? What risk factors should you avoid?...
Gout present symptoms mainly in the joints. Learn which signs to look for, and when you should seek medical help and diagnosis of gout....
DISCLAIMER: "Ask a Doctor" questions are answered by certified physicians and other medical professionals. For more information about experts participating in the "Ask a Doctor" Network, please visit our medical experts page. You may also visit our Gout , for moderated patient to patient support and information.

The information provided on eHealth Forum is designed to improve, not replace, the relationship between a patient and his/her own physician. Personal consultation(s) with a qualified medical professional is the proper means for diagnosing any medical condition.