Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Orthopedics Forum

Gout related to Sesamoiditis ?

I'm a 23 yr old female. About 1 year ago I woke up in the morning with a pain in the ball of my foot under the big toe. I was trying to remember if I had bumped into anything or stubbed my toe, but I didn't. As the day went on the pain got worse and worse to the point where I was crying and couldn't walk. I was out of my home state visiting someone so I did not have my doctor to go to. I looked up online and saw that my symptoms seemed to be related to gout. I know I don't fit the typical age profile of someone with gout. The pain seemed to go down quite a bit the next day. I was able to walk but only on the outside of the foot. By day 3 my foot was pretty much back to normal.

Several months later I started running. I would sometimes notice a tight pain in the same area but the pain was not intense at all and it just would go away after resting for a bit.

Now it is over a year later and I have started running almost every day. I am noticing the pain again in the ball of the big toe and it is also swollen.

Now my question is, if I did have gout before, is this pain related to that? Could there be damage to my ligaments? Or is this Sesamoiditis? Just curious if anyone has had a similar situation?
Did you find this post helpful?
|

User Profile
replied June 15th, 2009
Extremely eHealthy
It could have been gout and it sounds like what ever it is, it's coming back. You need to see a doctor. There can be permanent damage to the joint if you don't get treatment for gout. It can also become infected. Is it warm or red?

If it is sesamoiditis, the treatment for that is usually non-invasive. I don't know if there is any permanent damage from not getting that treated, but if it keeps coming back, you probably want to prevent it in the future.
|

replied June 15th, 2009
Thank you for your help. I know I need to make an appointment to see a doctor. It is red and a little swollen.
|

replied December 23rd, 2011
From my experience with sesamoiditis, and from reading tons about, it doesn't sound like sesamoiditis. You are lucky! It is so hard to get rid of. Mine has gotten slowly but steadiliy worse, despite treatment. Your's seems to come and go without doing much. Take it easy on your feet until you know for sure tho! Pain is always a warning sign.
|
Must Read
Gout is a common type of arthritis and accounts for about 5% of all cases of arthritic condition. But what is gout and what are the stages of this condition?...
Gout manifest for physical reasons...but what puts you at a greater risk of developing the disease? What risk factors should you avoid?...
Gout present symptoms mainly in the joints. Learn which signs to look for, and when you should seek medical help and diagnosis of gout....