Hi

I'm very new to this whole gout thing. My father has recently been diagnosed with gout. He has already had a second attack within a three month period. I'm trying to eliminate meat from his diet however he is also on medicine for thinning his blood as he has had blood clots in his legs in the past. My question is this

How do you feed a person who cannot have greens due to blood thinners and cannot have meat due to gout? Do you know of any recipe books that combine these two issues into one? Is this a common case against gout sufferers?

If anyone could help me with this I would gratefully appreciate it. Like I said, I'm new to this whole gout thing and I'm trying to find as much information as possible.

Thanks again
Did you find this post helpful?
|

replied July 17th, 2009
Experienced User
When I was on blood thinners, I was told that I could eat greens as long as my greens diet was consistent. Then the blood thinner dosage would be adjusted accordingly.

Recent studies have shown that diet has only a small impact on gout. Make sure that your father doesn't have sleep apnea. That has a much larger impact. Furthermore, if sleep apnea is left untreated, he will significantly increase his risk for developing any of its many life-threatening consequences. His gout may very well be his warning of his sleep apnea.
|

replied July 18th, 2009
My father does have sleep apnea and he has a CPAP for that.. any more suggestions?
|

replied July 19th, 2009
Experienced User
Make sure that your Dad uses his CPAP consistently, and that the CPAP pressure is properly adjusted for his needs.
|

replied May 5th, 2013
I suffered (suffer)from gout for years. 2 or 3 attacks per year, very painful. Indomiocine makes it go away within a day or two. Without that it just gets progressively worse.

What I've learned is that my gout is really brought on by dehydration. I force myself to drink much more water and watch the color of my piss. Only 1 attack in the last 2 years and I was dehydrated at the time (its a pain drinking all that water).
|
Quick Reply
Must Read
Gout is a common type of arthritis and accounts for about 5% of all cases of arthritic condition. But what is gout and what are the stages of this condition?...
Gout manifest for physical reasons...but what puts you at a greater risk of developing the disease? What risk factors should you avoid?...
Gout present symptoms mainly in the joints. Learn which signs to look for, and when you should seek medical help and diagnosis of gout....