Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Gout Forum

Gout flare-ups in unusual areas

I have had one "real" gout flare up a little less than two year ago. It was classical big toe joint pain that came on out of nowhere, overnight during the cold of February and found me waking up with redness, extreme pain even when lightly touching the area and felt hot when touched. I was able to treat it with anti-inflammatory meds and it subsided after 4-5 days but I still feel like it isn't quite the same since then. I have experienced two other "minor" flare-ups that weren't as painful and were quickly cleared up with ibuprofen every 6 hours for two days.

My question for all of you gout suffers out there is:
Has anyone had redness and swelling flare up in their nose around the nostrils?
I realize this can be caused by many things especially since I have sleep apnea and wear a nasal CPAP mask every night that blows air threw my nose while I sleep. I saw the doc yesterday and he was not able to see anything definite as the cause either inside or outside of my nose. For some reason this got me thinking it could be due to uric acid accumulation/crystallization in that area. It appears very similar to my my gout toe joint - very red, a bit swollen and painful with touch. I do know that gout usually effects joints (toe joints, ankles, knees, elbows) due to uric crystallization in those areas but it could it manifest itself in the area I describe?
Did you find this post helpful?

User Profile
replied November 23rd, 2014
Hello and Welcome

I appreciate your concern

uric acid accumulation/crystallization cannot occur in the area you are describing. Its a joint accumulation and not a soft tissue cartilage accumulation.

wishing you best of health


Did you find this post helpful?

replied January 9th, 2015
Hi everyone, Just want to be helpful with my gout experiences for the past 10 years or so. I took Gingko
from walgreens for years and had gout attacks for years.
I no longer take Gingko and my gout attacks almost completely stopped as of now. I am taking allopurinol which i vowed not to take for years but the pain had gotten overwhelming at a point when i was hospitalized for a chronic gout attack in just about every joint in my body. The doctors could not tell me why that happened but i believe it was several factors that led to it. So with that said i believe Gingko is a contributor to the build up of uric acid in joints. I have tons of advice on gout do's and dont's and i know first hand on how bad the pain can get. Anyone that's suffering from a gout attack please understand that if your gout attack is at a point where no home remedies will not help fast enough, you must go to urgent care and ask for colchicine or a steroid with a high level pain med. Stay away from aspirin, alcohol, sweet breads eg: cake, rolls etc. and hot dogs, sausage etc.
It's best to drink twice the average amout of water and drink distilled water during an attack. Taking a ginger supplement will help with inflammation too. Sleeping will be tough when knee, hip, elbow or any upper body joint is affected so you might need to search for solutions such as pillows to support and protect painful areas. It can be hard to get to the restroom if your foot or ankle is affected so you might need a office chair to get to the restroom. My belief is the kidney is not working fully when my attacks happen so i try to be aware to not over eat or drink sugary drinks. Lastly, most attacks happen at night so try to deal with gout asap to have your best shot at stopping an attack before it gets worse. If you need any other info just ask here. good luck!
Did you find this post helpful?
Must Read
Gout is a common type of arthritis and accounts for about 5% of all cases of arthritic condition. But what is gout and what are the stages of this condition?...
Gout manifest for physical reasons...but what puts you at a greater risk of developing the disease? What risk factors should you avoid?...
Gout present symptoms mainly in the joints. Learn which signs to look for, and when you should seek medical help and diagnosis of gout....
DISCLAIMER: "Ask a Doctor" questions are answered by certified physicians and other medical professionals. For more information about experts participating in the "Ask a Doctor" Network, please visit our medical experts page. You may also visit our Gout , for moderated patient to patient support and information.

The information provided on eHealth Forum is designed to improve, not replace, the relationship between a patient and his/her own physician. Personal consultation(s) with a qualified medical professional is the proper means for diagnosing any medical condition.