Can you have a normal uric acid level during a gout attack and higher when no symptoms are present?
Thanks
Did you find this post helpful?
First Helper wwp512
|

replied November 25th, 2009
In my case, apparently so.

I am a gout suffer for years, but just recently confirmed it with joint aspiration. I am on Uloric and my UA is under 6 mg/dl, for about 4 months now.

But I still get attacks, what the doctor and others are telling me it is because the drug is lowering you crystaline concentration in your joints, as they become soluble, they go back into the bloodstream and causes an inflammatory reaction eg. flares. But the long-term benefit of being on drug therapy, as I am hoping that it is true, is that most of the gouty deposits in the joints will work their way out, thus preserve your joint integrity , eg, no joint destruction.

There may be a price to pay; however, as long-term drug use does come with some serious side effects. You and your doctor must weight the risk-benefit ratio and you have to decide to be pain free or to need a liver/ kidney transplant!

Then again, I have talked with people who has been on Allopurinol for 30 years without problems. (allopurinol and my stomach/liver doesn't get along)

goodluck

Wen
|

User Profile
replied December 5th, 2009
Community Volunteer
Hi cheermom,
yes
|
Quick Reply
Must Read
Gout is a common type of arthritis and accounts for about 5% of all cases of arthritic condition. But what is gout and what are the stages of this condition?...
Gout manifest for physical reasons...but what puts you at a greater risk of developing the disease? What risk factors should you avoid?...
Gout present symptoms mainly in the joints. Learn which signs to look for, and when you should seek medical help and diagnosis of gout....