I started a low carb diet in February. I weighed 301. I now weigh 239. I eat alot of high protein foods as well as high fat. I cut out beer. I might drink one a month. But I do consume Bourbon and coke zero about a fifth every couple weeks. About a month ago I binged a fifth on a Saturday. By Wednesday I was completely unable to walk. My whole left foot was like it was a giant exposed nerve. I couldn't stand to have the bed cover on it. Felt like a toothache in my foot. I went to doctor and he gave me colchicine and by Friday it was better. The soreness never completely went away. Well this past Saturday we had a birthday party/bonfire in which I consumed about a fifth again. By Wednesday I couldn't walk. Another round of colchicine and much better. Still didn't prescribe me allopurinol. Will I completely have to stop drinking alcohol or will allopurinol keep my uric acid levels down enough that I can still drink occasionally?
Did you find this post helpful?
First Helper Megaladon47
|

User Profile
replied October 20th, 2017
Hello and welcome

I appreciate your concern

In an acute attack of Gout describing allopurinol may be counter productive and can exacerbate the flare. allopurinol keeps consistent levels of uric acid and is only helpful in preventing a new attack. Alcohol is a known precipitant of acute gouty Arthritis and should be avoided. I would advise complete abstinence but at least you should cut down on the quantity

wishing you best of health

thanks

|

This post is being reviewed to be sure that it adheres to our Community Guidelines.
Thanks for your patience!

User Profile
replied November 17th, 2017
After taking three years of data on my gout and alcohol, I found that 1/2 pint of 80 proof alcohol (76 grams of alcohol) initiated a gout attack every time. I would do this during the winter holidays. But it isn't the alcohol that causes my gout attacks since I don't get gout attacks from drinking about a bottle of wine every day, which is 68 grams of alcohol.
|

replied December 18th, 2017
Hello and I can relate to your problem. #1 Dark alcohol is bad for gout and so is Beer. If you must drink, try Vodka or Gin with water, cherry juick or Mineral water. Try to avoid high purine foods like red meat and shell fish. If you want to not have Gout ever again, mix 1/2 teaspoon of Baking Soda with a glass of water and drink it every morning. This will desolve the chrystals and also keep them from returning. So for $1 a month you are cured. Baking Soda is a salt so watch your blood pressure. I promise that works and no Doctor will tell you this.
|
Tags: Diet, Low Fat
Quick Reply
Must Read
Gout is a common type of arthritis and accounts for about 5% of all cases of arthritic condition. But what is gout and what are the stages of this condition?...
Gout manifest for physical reasons...but what puts you at a greater risk of developing the disease? What risk factors should you avoid?...
Gout present symptoms mainly in the joints. Learn which signs to look for, and when you should seek medical help and diagnosis of gout....
DISCLAIMER: "Ask a Doctor" questions are answered by certified physicians and other medical professionals. For more information about experts participating in the "Ask a Doctor" Network, please visit our medical experts page. You may also visit our Gout , for moderated patient to patient support and information.

The information provided on eHealth Forum is designed to improve, not replace, the relationship between a patient and his/her own physician. Personal consultation(s) with a qualified medical professional is the proper means for diagnosing any medical condition.