Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Epilepsy Forum

Good medicines for seizures , bipolar disorder

User Profile
I've gained almost 40 lbs since Depakote was started in 5/08 by the dr covering for my PCP, when he stopped my pain mngt coctail cold turkey during hospitilization. Finally yest. my PCP agreed to change meds to Keppra; & my psych. agrees to a changeover to something else. what are good combo's for seiz/bipolar disorders?

Did you find this post helpful?
|

User Profile
replied July 8th, 2010
Epilepsy Answer A13995
Hi, welcome to the ehealth forum and I am glad to help you.
You seem concerned with good combinations for seizures/bipolar disorders.
Bipolar disorder is difficult to live with, but it can be controlled with therapy and medication. Anti-seizure medication can help the overall mental health of patients by stabilizing the electrical activity and controlling the release of the neurotransmitter glutamate in the brain.
The anti-seizure drug types used to control bipolar disorder mostly fall under three categories. The valproate category includes medications like Depakote and Stavzor. The carbamazepine category includes Eptiol, Tegretol and Trileptal. The third category is lamitrogine, which includes Lamictal. Neurontin is another anti-seizure medication used for bipolar patients, which does not fit into one of the three categories.
You can consult your personal physician for drugs tailor made for your case as the same cannot be ascertained online.
Hope this helps. Take care.
Note: This post is not to emphasise final diagnosis as the same cannot be made online and is aimed just to provide medical information and no treatment suggested above be taken without face to face consultation with health care professional.

|
Did you find this post helpful?
Must Read
Learn the basics about mental disorders, including risk factors, diagnosis, and treatment options. ...
Learn about risk factors to developing a mental health condition. ...
Learn about screening and diagnosis options available for mental conditions....
DISCLAIMER: "Ask a Doctor" questions are answered by certified physicians and other medical professionals. For more information about experts participating in the "Ask a Doctor" Network, please visit our medical experts page. You may also visit our Epilepsy , for moderated patient to patient support and information.

The information provided on eHealth Forum is designed to improve, not replace, the relationship between a patient and his/her own physician. Personal consultation(s) with a qualified medical professional is the proper means for diagnosing any medical condition.