User Profile
I had sexual relationship before 13 years,i had after month from the sexual relationship acute Gonorrhea and i cure from it, and i did the Elissa test 3 times , first 1 after 9 years, 2nd one after 10 years, the last one i did were before 3 days alsoo i did the CBC before 3 days and the result were normal and all the Elissa test which i did were negative.

my question did the elissa test is enough after this long period or i must did another tests im really scared since i want to married soon, please advice.

did the antibodies keep produced even after 13 years?? if they produced after 10 years i think i can trust the Elissa tests.

Did you find this post helpful?

User Profile
replied April 21st, 2010
HIV and AIDS Answer A11365
Hi and welcome to the forum! I am glad that I can help you.

You want to know whether you still might have gonorrhea based on an ELISA test diagnosis.

There are two types of Ig (immunoglobulins) that are connected with bacterial infections. The first type is the Ig M antibody that suggests an immune response to a fresh bacterial infection. The second type is the Ig G that suggests that the organism has been in contact with the immune system and it fought against the bacteria a while ago. The ELISA test can detect both Ig M and Ig G antigens against certain kinds of bacteria. There is a normal range of concentration of Ig G in the blood that is considered normal. If the results from the tests show a heavier concentration of Ig G antibodies towards a type of bacteria it suggests that there is reinfection with the same type of bacteria.

Given the data that you described, you experienced gonorrhea several years ago. According to the results that you received from the ELISA test it is not likely that you still experience gonorrhea. However, you should have in mind that if the gonorrhea affected the epididymis or the testicles in men, or Fallopian tubes in women, individuals may experience infertility, due to formation of fibrous tissue in these organs.

Please keep in mind that I provide medical information only. I am not able to diagnose medical conditions online. Please contact your doctor for further advice and information about diagnosis and treatment of gonorrhea.

Did you find this post helpful?
This question has been answered by the doctor. This topic is now open for public discussion, however no comments below this point will be answered by a doctor.
Must Read
Do you know what causes HIV? Get started by learning the facts on HIV and AIDS here....
Do you know what puts you at high risk of HIV? Debunk the myths and get the facts of HIV risk factors here....
Can you identify early HIV symptoms. Learn what to look for and when to seek medical help as we review symptoms of HIV here....
DISCLAIMER: "Ask a Doctor" questions are answered by certified physicians and other medical professionals. For more information about experts participating in the "Ask a Doctor" Network, please visit our medical experts page. You may also visit our HIV and AIDS , for moderated patient to patient support and information.

The information provided on eHealth Forum is designed to improve, not replace, the relationship between a patient and his/her own physician. Personal consultation(s) with a qualified medical professional is the proper means for diagnosing any medical condition.