Medical Questions > Womens Health > Menopause Forum

49, going through menopause? Now I'm spotting?

Must Read
What is menopause? Peri menopause? How long does menopause last? Get the facts on menopause, "the big change", here. ...
Symptoms of menopause and perimenopause affect women in different ways. What common signs and early symptoms of menopause can alert you of "the change"?...
Consult your doctor as your body makes the perimenopause transition. But how do doctors confirm the beginning of menopause? Learn more here....
User Profile
i have not been told by a doctor that im going through menopause but im 49 years old and havent had a period for over 2 and a half years, but noticed a few days ago that i was spotting, then today it was a little more then spotting.why am i doing this after so long of not having one at all

Did you find this post helpful?
First Helper User Profile DoctorQuestion

User Profile
replied January 3rd, 2011
Menopause Answer A18122
Welcome to ehealthforum.
Abnormal uterine bleeding after no periods for a long time is indicative of hormonal or uterine (endometrial) problem which can occur in postmenopausal women. You should consider getting a detailed evaluation done by your gynecologist to confirm/rule out dysfunctional uterine bleeding (DUB), endometrial hyperplasia, cervix related issues that could be responsible for the spotting. Do not delay your visit to your gynecologist (not regular GP/NP). You will need an ultrasound scan, blood work-up, hormonal level analysis, PAP smear along with an internal examination (pelvic examination) to help in finding the exact cause for your symptoms.
Take care.

Did you find this post helpful?
This question has been answered by the doctor. This topic is now open for public discussion, however no comments below this point will be answered by a doctor.
DISCLAIMER: "Ask a Doctor" questions are answered by certified physicians and other medical professionals. For more information about experts participating in the "Ask a Doctor" Network, please visit our medical experts page. You may also visit our Menopause , for moderated patient to patient support and information.

The information provided on eHealth Forum is designed to improve, not replace, the relationship between a patient and his/her own physician. Personal consultation(s) with a qualified medical professional is the proper means for diagnosing any medical condition.