Medical Questions > Mental Health > Anxiety and Stress Forum

go to work... I get chest pain /axiety attack!

User Profile
hi,as soon as I think to go to work I get chest pain /axiety attack, I grind my teeth and I feel tired. But I can't really effort to loose my job. what should I do? Healthwise I feel miserable. I'm sick with -(cold sore, flu)-the last three weeks. 2 month Prior to that I couldn't sleep very well. Just 3-4 hours. I would wake up 2am every day.
I'm very concerned about my decreasing health. Shoulder and backpain are also syptoms I have. Is it really worth to keep a job or should I just quit and take care of myself? I need to makea decision by Monday, since I already talked to my boss about my stress. But the deadline by monday creates more axiety.

Did you find this post helpful?
First Helper User Profile DoctorQuestion
|

User Profile
replied April 3rd, 2011
Anxiety and Stress Answer A21553

Hello.

As long as you know what your goal is, the decision making will be easy for you. We obviously can't suggest you a particular option to choose from. But you may need to consider the impact your health is having on your job.

If you are not able to take care of your health, including stress and anxiety, and if that is affecting your job functioning, then you should think what makes more sense. What can help you take a decision is to figure out what is more important for you at this stage in life. Also, if you choose to go one way, will you be able to take care of the other aspect later? That is, if you choose to continue with the job, will you be able to manage your health well? And if you leave the job for taking care of yourself, will you be able to find another job later?

I hope you are able to read this reply before the deadline. It seems you are anxious about the job as well. You may need to examine your willingness to work. Try to compare your work enthusiasm now with that when you first started the job. Are they the same? Or is there a decline? And if there is a decline, can you identify why so?

Your reasons for continuing the job should be weighed against the reasons for leaving the job. Try to see what's "more important". Quite often, "urgent" things push you to take decisions, and those urgent things later turn out to be "not important". In your current situation, try to figure out what looks urgent and then see if it is really important or not. I guess if you go with what is "important", even if it may not look urgent right now, you will find a long term benefit.

Hope this helps.

Abhijeet Deshmukh, MD

(This post is for the purpose of providing medical information and is not a substitute for a face-to-face consultation with a doctor. This post is not intended to give or rule out a diagnosis, create a doctor-patient relationship or replace an existing one. I am not able to diagnose medical conditions online. Please consult with your doctor or a qualified healthcare provider for diagnosis and treatment options)

|
Did you find this post helpful?
Must Read
Learn how doctors clinically diagnose one of twelve kinds of anxiety disorders...and which doctors you should see for an anxiety diagnosis....
Anxiety disorders can affect anyone. But do you know the common signs and symptoms of anxiety disorders? Learn more now....
Anxiety is a normal, healthy emotion when experienced during specific moments. But do you know the signs that anxiety has gotten out of control? Read more here...
DISCLAIMER: "Ask a Doctor" questions are answered by certified physicians and other medical professionals. For more information about experts participating in the "Ask a Doctor" Network, please visit our medical experts page. You may also visit our Anxiety and Stress , for moderated patient to patient support and information.

The information provided on eHealth Forum is designed to improve, not replace, the relationship between a patient and his/her own physician. Personal consultation(s) with a qualified medical professional is the proper means for diagnosing any medical condition.